Thread: Flash Card

1. Default Flash Card

question... Has anyone ever gone swimming in the pool with a flash card in your pocket. I'm so frustrated with myself. Anyway if it dries out for several days would anyone out there truly trust plugging it in to the reader or the CW machine. Maybe I should just order another. Any thoughts. I'm not electronics savvy and not sure what all is in the flash card.

I have thought about another post that, to use dried rice in a plastic bag

3. Default

I thought about the rice. Was wondering if anyone was actually successful in a card recovery. Thanks

Being an electronic guy.... and having worked at a Sony service center... I have had the pleasure of working on a home portable phone that took the pool plunge... it all depends on the pool chemistry and the reaction of the water with the exposed copper traces and components. Usually a white foam slime starts up between the pins of the components and results in errors... It this case, the problems could take out your $300.00 +- Carve Computer... A shorted component or voltage shorted to pins in the card that should not have voltage then into the Carve Computer and hence the blank LCD Screen...

I would cut it open and post picture for us to see what is inside.... .... That is what I would do... Plug it into the machine..... As Clint would say... "Do you feel LUCKY?"

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

If you dried it out quick enough it will likely still work. Corrosion is more likely to create an open circuit than a short circuit. And since flash cards do not have a battery, the circuits were not powered up while being exposed to the water which also means the electronics(chips) themselves were much less likely to be immediately damaged. And yes, the rice trick does work.

6. Default

Finally the card quit, so liking to keep a back up I bought another from CW store. I received it and immediately noticed it appeared way to thick to fit in the slot of the machine or the flash drive. I didn't know if this was the new card design or a defect. I sent it to CW and they mailed another. This was thinner but still a bit thicker than the original from 2015. It fit, but still was a bit tight. So I used it, things were going along fine till I get an error that I needed to insert the card. I pulled it out and back in several times but still no power. I got my original and tried it, it seemed fine. No problem. I check the port and could see no dust or particles. Plus the old one was fine. I installed the new card in the computer flash drive and it seemed to work. I could upload and read.
    I'm thinking the new cards a a bit fatter, and not going in. Plus the new cards are a lot of plastic rather than the old metal ones.
    I've been through many many errors and have always gotten through with replacing parts, some I replaced and probably didn't need to. I count this as a learning experience. But now I'm stumped. CW support says it's not the card, but somehow the new models seem to cause me to think it is, especially since my older and thinner one works in the port.
    Please don't tell me I need a new computer in the C model. Used are 500 bucks.
    Any help or or advice is appreciated.

Ed

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Do you get the message about "Need to insert the card" with your old card and with the new one from the machine or at the computer end? Haven't seen any of the newer cards and don't have any experience with one. If from the machine then I think it must be powering as without a card I never have gotten any display. Possible someone nearby has a carver and could try your old card to see if it works in a different machine or mail it to a another member.

8. Default

It's weird, Support says the card is not inserted in the machine, but it is as far as it will go. Nothing in the machine slot, and the older card works fine. Something with the nee cards is not right. It is visibly different in size, not enormously but you can see when held side by side. And these things aren't cheap at CW. Nothing cheap at CW store. Even support wants to start charging for phone support time, at least that's the way it sounds to me.

Anyway, keep an eye out on these new cards. My original is from 2016, hope it holds up a bit longer, I have 32 flag cases to carve for our Veterans, if the machine goes down, I'm cooked.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I remember having a problem with inserting the card in one of my machines after I had taken the end panel off to work on something. Wasn't bad but had to wiggle the card a lot to get it to slide in, took the panel off and made sure all was good while I could see the slot from the bottom. Since the new card is thicker than the old one is it possible it is hanging up from a slight misalignment of the slides. Not enough to affect the older thinner card but stop the pins from meshing. You can remove the bottom panel and see how far each card goes in the slot or may an quick way is to measure how much of the older card protrudes from the slot when the machine works. Then insert the new card , measure and compare, may not be much difference but enough to stop contact. Grabbing at straws. Good luck