Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: question for the wood gear clock makers out there

Default question for the wood gear clock makers out there

Gents and ladies,

Is there a program or an easy way to create the escapements?

The original reason I purchased the CW (and a laser) was to create wood gear clocks for myself. After a year and a half I have completed zero clocks. I have learned how to cut gears but how to do the escapements still escapes me (at least ones that actually work).

I believe I have read all the entries on involute gears and clock gears on the forum but I may have missed the one that had this nugget.

Thanks,
    Oscar

How many watts is your laser? Laser envy... only 20 watts here..

Had to look this one up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escapement

Don't have a clue....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

There is no laser envy here. Its says 40W but probably closer to 30W actual. I can cut 1/8" plywood with no problem but 1/4" takes multiple passes and leaves a bit (lot) of scorching. I've realized if I ever do get serious with laser work I need a minimum of 60W for real work and a much larger work area. Mine can only do 8"x9". I am trying to remember who but someone on here has a real nice laser.

It does make pretty gears. I glue up two blanks to get at least a 1/4" gear which seems to work well.

Mine completely sucks at cutting hardwoods (pretty good engraver in cherry and maple). At some point if I figure this stuff out I would love to cut the gears with CNC and then engrave with the laser.

The escapements I have made have pretty much been good for one tick and no follow on tock. (they've been garbage)

I built a complete clock off of a sketch up swiss all wood before I got advanced software add ons. I spent two solid weeks and never got a tick.
    It is a wonder it even looked like a clock.
    I have looked a many escapements and played with making a few. Like you have not found a way to totally make them on the cw.
    most i would cut out with the cw and hand drill holes through the top for wheel pegs from hobby lobby to fit in.
    I did build Dick Bipes' " Mystery Clock". I like his escapement, it would have to be modified to work on a pendulum clock though.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Brent,

I've actually gone as far as buying several of Brian Law's plans. I guess its just a pride thing. I want to show off a clock that I designed and built that half works. lol. It doesn't even have to keep time correctly. I have plenty of other clocks that do that already. blender 3d natively creates involute and worm gears as primitives so i can now make gear patterns with minimal effort. I also got gear generator 3.0 but the spokes it creates are more utilitarian than beautiful.

I was hoping for a short cut which may not exist. I may have to actually learn what I am doing instead of half assing it. I am usually pretty good at half assing but this one may be just a little bit outside of that range. For the targeting nerds: The CEP may be a little bit outside the target.

Manager called today as well. My vacation may be cut short since the contract negotiations went really well and work should be starting next week. So my play time will go back to weekends only again. First vacation I've had in 4 years. Opening a bottle of vodka, wine or beer at 8 in the morning is about end.

Regards,
    Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Gents and ladies,

Is there a program or an easy way to create the escapements?

The original reason I purchased the CW (and a laser) was to create wood gear clocks for myself. After a year and a half I have completed zero clocks. I have learned how to cut gears but how to do the escapements still escapes me (at least ones that actually work).

I believe I have read all the entries on involute gears and clock gears on the forum but I may have missed the one that had this nugget.

Thanks,
    Oscar
    Check out "Gear Generator" at:

http://woodgears.ca/gear/

For $26.00 it's pretty amazing.
    Steve

Steve,

<smiles> I have it as well. I can make gears all day long. Its the escapement that is giving me fits.

I agree with you that its an awesome deal.

Oscar

I drew this in Aspire in about 10 minutes and imported it into Designer 1.187 as a .dxf. I think you could do the same in Corel Draw or other vector drawing programs. It isn't precise but, I think you can get an idea of how easy it would be to just draw it yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Escapement.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-11-2015 at 12:36 AM.
    Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the time to build the example.

Its the arbor I am having problems with. In blender its about the same time in drawing the escapement wheel. But its not very precise which is the problem. There is precise geometry you need with the escapement arbor that I am messing up with. I was hoping there was an easy answer but I think I will have to take the time and actually learn the process in building the piece.

Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Steve,

Thank you for the time to build the example.

Its the arbor I am having problems with. In blender its about the same time in drawing the escapement wheel. But its not very precise which is the problem. There is precise geometry you need with the escapement arbor that I am messing up with. I was hoping there was an easy answer but I think I will have to take the time and actually learn the process in building the piece.

Oscar
    I redrew the example to be a little more precise. The arbor or center hole is exactly dead center. If you send me the exact specs i will attempt to draw it for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast