Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expensive litho

Default Expensive litho

I just tried my first carve with the 1/32 bit on a litho... broke it at about 90% through the carve. I had the depth set to .180 with bit optimization set on best on a 1/4" corian board. Is that too much for the bit or am I just unlucky as hell? Also, when mounting the bit should you use a collar when inserting into the Colette? I sure can't afford the cost of one bit per carve.
    George

That's one expensive litho alright. It's not too much, I carve wood at 1/4" and never had any problems but than again, it's not from CW so have no idea if they're that different.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    That's one expensive litho alright. It's not too much, I carve wood at 1/4" and never had any problems but than again, it's not from CW so have no idea if they're that different.

My 1/32" was not from CW either. It broke two of the three cutting edges off of the ball on the first try in oak. Mine was from Soigeneris. I do not think the tip grinds leave much material to support the cutting edges. Where did you get yours?

Geomoo1, how far up did it break off?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chipped bit.JPG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-05-2015 at 07:32 PM.

My first three hour carve using 1/4" corian with bit opti at best and carving at .180 went well for the first 2 hours until it happened.
    My error of course, I went to see how it was carving, and bumped the table. Snapped it off immediately. wasn't happy. Waited until the next day to make sure I cleaned everything, checked the level of the machine outfeed tables and started the carving again. after 3 hours, extremely happy with the results. Although it was a very costly mistake, it happens to the best of us. And yes, mine was the good old CW with $12 shipping, glad I bought two.
    Last edited by Canemaker; 07-06-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    My 1/32" was not from CW either. It broke two of the three cutting edges off of the ball on the first try in oak. Mine was from Soigeneris. I do not think the tip grinds leave much material to support the cutting edges. Where did you get yours?

Geomoo1, how far up did it break off?
    My bit was a CW bit and it broke maybe 1/4" up from the tip.
    George

Was the carve uploaded as normal, best, or optimal?

When doing a litho I always use it at optimal, When doing the rotary litho I got gun shy when I went though the pipe trying to get the depth right, the way it was centered wasn't right. And using a flat litho using a smaller bit just makes sense to use the slowest feed to move material slower I've used my bit for 20 carves and is still carving....that is after it went though the pipe twice spiraling into the pipe into never land.

I have posted these before.... 7 of the 20 that I was playig around with the depth some looked not as good as these. some didn't make it. I'm going to do some more and try Dan's rotary jig. these are the ones that I was testing the depth at I finally come up with the magical depth of .113
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0403.JPG   DSCF0404.JPG   DSCF0405.JPG   DSCF0406.JPG  

DSCF0407.JPG   DSCF0417.JPG   DSCF0420.JPG  
    Last edited by aokweld101; 07-05-2015 at 10:49 PM.

This is beautiful aok!

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I have posted these before.... 7 of the 20 that I was playig around with the depth some looked not as good as these. some didn't make it. I'm going to do some more and try Dan's rotary jig. these are the ones that I was testing the depth at I finally come up with the magical depth of .113

I have a lot to learn with the rotary!, Really impressive lithos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast