Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JULY 2015 Project of the Month - The Southwestern Inlay Trinket Box

Default JULY 2015 Project of the Month - The Southwestern Inlay Trinket Box

Hello,

This project uses commonly available items to create a very nice inlay appearance. The overall resin inlay procedure outlined in this project was featured at the 2015 CarveWright Conference. A decorative resin-based inlay is easy and fun to do, plus it adds a unique quality to your own projects!

The project is designated as “Intermediate” because the box corners will be mitered and the lid and box interior panels will be cut out using your table saw. The BASIC mpc components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

I have included a special “BONUS mpc” with the project. This is provided for those who have upgraded to the Designer Pro software and will perform a v-carved lid inlay design using a 60-degree v-bit instead of the conventional raster carving. Depending upon the design complexity, a Vector Group V-carving can often save time and yield neater ‘chip-style’ cuts for projects like this. For comparison, the BASIC version of Designer time estimate for the raster carve lid design is 1 hr. 23 minutes using OPTIMAL mode. The same design using Designer Pro's Vector Group v-carving feature time estimate is only 18 minutes using OPTIMAL mode.

Main items you will need:
    1) The Project Files (included):
    • Lid_Inlay_BASIC_Raster.mpc
    • Inlay_Box_Sides.mpc
    *BONUS: Lid_Inlay_V-60_PRO.mpc
    * This version requires a 60-degree v-bit and the Designer Pro software

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Lid mpc: 0.75" x 5" x 15"
    Box Sides mpc: 0.75" x 7" x 20.5"

**Box Bottom: 0.125" x 3.0625" x 6.75"
    **Lid Panel: 0.25" x 2.625" x 6.375"
    ** Not mpc’s - you cut from 0.125" and 0.25" hobby ply or hardboard stock

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Miter or table saw, wood glue, clamps, rags and disposable brushes

4) Zinsser Bulls Eye SealCoat , denatured alcohol, sandpaper 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 220, 320 grits, unsweetened Baker’s Cocoa Powder, Corn Starch, Paprika, 6-Minute and 30-Minute Epoxy, plastic mixing cups, popsicle sticks and toothpicks, clearcoat spray

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details

The finishing and inlay techniques are described in detail in the PDF instructions that are included with the project. Recipes for the inlay mixtures and example color schemes for both light and dark woods are provided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walnut-panel.png   light-panel.png   lid-handle-2.png   southwestern_inlay_box_550x425.png  

walnut-lid-box.png   Southwest_Inlay_Trinket_Box_430x430.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-01-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael, Looks like this will be a really fun project. It should give everyone some new ideas.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Looks great and sounds like fun. Looking forward to learning new things. Thanks for the great work.

Saw this project and the samples at the conference. This is COOL. Really will add nice accents to a project. Thanks Michael for the great project.
    Jerry
    Having fun with my CW now!
    C Machine spring of 2013, CarveTight, Rotary, designer 3.102, probe/PE,
    vector 2d, 3d advanced, conforming vectors, STL. Photo Explosion 4.
    HF 2hp dust collector. Headquartered in West-Central IL.

I got the email to download the project but when I try to connect to carvewright to activate the the project is not there. I looked at all my licenses under my account on Carvewright website and this POM is not listed. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it on Carvewright's side? Anyone else having this problem?

I just downloaded it and when I tried to activate it mine does not show it either?

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I just downloaded it and when I tried to activate it mine does not show it either?
    I am thinking carvewright needs to do something on their end so we can activate it. I emailed them and hope they will fix it tomorrow.

It wasn't supposed to be released until tomorrow. (Stupid system). I uploaded today. It cycles through to the database sometime overnight. You should be able to activate it tomorrow morning.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Is there a trick to mixing the glue. Tried mixing with colored sand from Hobby Lobby and made concrete.
    No sand paper will touch it. Think I was too thick with the Glue. will try to just fill the carve next time.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonCP View Post
    Is there a trick to mixing the glue. Tried mixing with colored sand from Hobby Lobby and made concrete.
    No sand paper will touch it. Think I was too thick with the Glue. will try to just fill the carve next time.
    Hi Don,

No special trick that I've run across. It's supposed to be simple and easy!

Maybe there was too much sand in the epoxy?? Perhaps too much Hardener in the mix and it set-up too hard before you had a chance to do your sanding?? Try it again, but be watchful of the mix ratio and amount of sand. Are you using the 6-minute or the 20-minute (or longer)? The 20-minute (or longer) will give you more open time to start sanding. Please let me know how you make out.

Almost forgot to ask...are you starting the sanding with a very coarse grit? Use 60 or 80-grit to remove the bulk of overfill epoxy, then progress through to finer grits as mentioned in the instructions. Maybe you are already doing that, but thought I would check.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-23-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast