Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hopefully a fun project/challenge/contest

Thank you. Great catches on all your points. I need to better explain the elongated hole means just pitch the drill up and down, this allows seasonal movement of the wood. I'll start updating the instructions but won't repost until a little bit to ensure I get all the inputs.

I hope you have a chance to make one of these chests. I can typically make one of these (without carvings) in about 8 hours. Now its a long 8 hours with only a break or two but they do go fairly quick.

Enclosed are all the patterns I used for the chest. More in the next entry due to 6 patterns limit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry for the haphazard input of patterns. Half of my mpc's were over the size limit for posting so it would have been half and half anyway. This way you have more freedom to mix and match if desired or add your own. I have half the carvings done except for the rails (another 8 carvings) but it is lightning and threatening to storm so stopping for the day.

All the flowers have meaning in my family so hopefully you can find some that provide something for you.

There are one or two previously shared patterns but I am re-posting so they are all in one place.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Enclosed are pictures of how I put together the patterns. Again use or replace with your own. Good luck. I will clean up the instructions and post no later than tuesday with hopefully a finished chest to show off. Depends on how long the last 8 carvings take.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front panel.jpg   front rails.jpg   front.jpg   legs.jpg  

side panel.jpg   side rails.jpg  

Default Easy Build Chest instructions

Please find enclosed what I am calling my easy build chest. The design is very versatile and pretty much everything can be modified to get a different look (just make sure to hide the visible screws. There are ton a screws showing on the inside but they won't be seen except by the owner).

I personally would not increase the size too much larger, though you can. Seasonal wood movement can be fairly large on softer woods. The very first chest I built based on this design developed some gaps when I lived in central California but completely closed up when I got stationed in Florida.

So for larger pieces I would recommend panels in frames with no glue. Unfortunately I would not qualify those as easy or fast builds without a full wood shop. After the first one a figuring out the little issues that always happen in making furniture they are very quick to literally slap together. Without carvings I can build one in under 8 hours with light sanding and finish.

These make great gifts and I have donated some to charity and fund raisers. It was the grand prize at my ghost pepper hot wing eating contest. I tried but I lost that one. After 6 I was in the corner crying. Next contest will be Carolina Reaper hot wings.

If you use pine they also look great painted after sealing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easy build chest instructions.pdf  

Oscar, that's a great project, thank you!

Suzanne,

Thank you. I hope you have a chance to make one of these at some point with your flare and design. Would love to see what you can do with one of these.

The Louisiana heat is here with the humidity. I run out do something get completely drenched in sweat and run inside to cool off. This chest took 3 times longer than it should. Still have some sanding to do and then finish (which I hate doing). I am just going to use spray on poly for speed and ease. I should be using tung oil then letting that dry and then do the poly but at this point its too damn hot out there. I'll post in the furniture section when done.

Edit: I am going with the 2nd variation for mine with no gap at the top. I am usually asked to do the gap so that folk's smaller kids don't get there fingers caught when closing the lid. If I get my fingers caught its my own damn fault. I am going also with a rustic look with raw cedar with poly finish. I was going to paint it but the wife vetoed that idea. Its for her anyway so she has the last say.

Regards,
    Oscar

Oscar148

Thank you for the work you have done on this project. You have done a fine job creating a project that many of us will enjoy making. Your written directions are extremely well illustrated and written. I will be building one sometime this fall.

Thanks Oscar, I'm going to make more of a hope chest, thats what Mama wants that is what Mama gets.... LOL

You are both welcome. And yes what Mama want is what mama gets.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234