Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopefully a fun project/challenge/contest

lol. I could try to mix the two but we'll see how the voting ends tonight.

I have a few western models built and a few flower models built but not enough to finish one or the other yet. So have to make a few more patterns. Spent the last few hours learning another technique on making roses.

My barbed wire pattern came out good but I am going to try the same modeling technique to make thorn vines tomorrow after I get some roses done.

I'll get the chest materials tomorrow and also start developing the plans. I am going with cedar instead of pine and will be painting it for my piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW boot flowers.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    lol. I could try to mix the two but we'll see how the voting ends tonight.

I have a few western models built and a few flower models built but not enough to finish one or the other yet. So have to make a few more patterns. Spent the last few hours learning another technique on making roses.

My barbed wire pattern came out good but I am going to try the same modeling technique to make thorn vines tomorrow after I get some roses done.

I'll get the chest materials tomorrow and also start developing the plans. I am going with cedar instead of pine and will be painting it for my piece.
    I like the boot with the plants. That looks great. Mixing the two would also be great. I am willing to compromise...lol

Default Votes are in!

Well the votes are in. A chest design it is.

For design motif. Floral 3.5 (Brent I am splitting your vote against both), Western 1.5. So floral wins (sorry sun).

I don't have all the patterns I need yet so it will take me a day or two to make them. The chest cut pattern and instructions will probably take a day by itself. Then I still have to carve the boards and assemble the chest (probably a two day project).

Thanks for the interest and will continue to post progress on the project.

P.S. As previously mentioned the chest is a blank slate. You can keep it clean without carvings or increase the wow factor with whatever carvings you want if you don't want to use my patterns. Spousal unit vetoed the paint on the chest and I will be using cedar for mine. Any wood will work but for this design but I recommend cheaper lumber material. It is not something I would use good hardwood for. There are better chest designs for that.

quick update. I have a rough draft of the cut pattern but I need to redo a few pieces. I noticed I screwed up and got the end lengths wrong on one portion.

I went and got all the supplies for the chest at Lowes yesterday. The base woodshop was really low on cedar so had to make do. Lowes cedar is closer to .5 than .75 so minor adjustments (mostly screw length) for that but ready to go except to finish up the patterns. Here is a draft legs pattern. I am thinking it will work but I will have to see so how it goes with the rails.

My next question of the day is vodka or rum. Wife thinks its too early but its after 0800 so I completely disagree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails legs.jpg  

quick update. I have a rough draft of the cut pattern but I need to redo a few pieces. I noticed I screwed up and got the end lengths wrong on one portion.

I went and got all the supplies for the chest at Lowes yesterday. The base woodshop was really low on cedar so had to make do. Lowes cedar is closer to .5 than .75 so minor adjustments (mostly screw length) for that but ready to go except to finish up the patterns. Here is a draft legs pattern. I am thinking it will work but I will have to see so how it goes with the rails.

My next question of the day is vodka or rum. Wife thinks its too early but its after 0800 so I completely disagree.
    Your doing a great job. I would have to agree with your wife because wives are always right lol

I uploaded the leg pattern onto the card and says its going to take 1.5 hours per leg. That means 6 hours just on the legs alone and then still front, back and sides. This is going to be a long carve exercise.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll attempt one or two legs.

I am unsure about carving the top.

P.S. There was something wrong with the vodka bottle. It all evaporated.

I uploaded the leg pattern onto the card and says its going to take 1.5 hours per leg. That means 6 hours just on the legs alone and then still front, back and sides. This is going to be a long carve exercise.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll attempt one or two legs.

I am unsure about carving the top.

P.S. There was something wrong with the vodka bottle. It all evaporated.
    vodka doesn't evaporate it goes down nice an easy lol
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

lol. You are very right.

Edited so I wouldn't look like a total lush.

Default Need help proof reading draft instructions

I have the draft instructions completed. I have probably made close to 50 of these chests in the last 20 years so I know what I want to say but don't know if I am saying it so it makes sense. Also I am still validating the cut list. I am about 1/3 the way. The carvings are taking a lot longer than I thought. There will be 16 separate carvings. I have competed 6 so far.

Could you look at the draft instructions and point out where I messed up either in the cut list math or where the instructions don't make sense.

Also if there is any area that need more clarification.

Once you build one of these you will realize how incredibly easy they are (but you do have to build one to get to know where all the little gotchas are).

The other big issue I have run across is the mpc's are coming out too large to share on this site. So they will have to be patterns with pictures as guides. (sorry extra work) That will be separate from the instructions. Still finalizing the last carving (side rails). The picture is what I am notionally putting together.

Edit: Removed the draft instructions. Thanks to dianmayfield for the proofread. In doing the cut sheet and then assembling the case I did mess up the side rails. Finished length is around 15 in and cut long at 16 in to later fit the stiles snugly. I had then as 14 in incorrectly. I failed to take into account for the legs width correctly. Will post the final (or as close as I am going to get them) instructions tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg  

Oscar,

Excellent job on the instructions! I really like the way you prepared the cut list. I sent you a PM with a couple of notes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast