Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hopefully a fun project/challenge/contest

Default Hopefully a fun project/challenge/contest

I just learned I am getting a 2 week to a month vacation starting in July. I am really excited since I have not had a real vacation in about 4 years. So this will give me the time I need to fine tune some of my pattern making techniques. So to kick off my vacation and for fun I am going to start a contest. I am putting two projects on here for a vote. One will go into the pattern depot at some future date and the other one will be shared on this thread. You get to vote on which is which.

The first project is a pine chest and the second project is a hall table.

(Okay you don't need a CW to make either of these but it changes them from your boring pieces of furniture to, "Wow, you made that!")

1. Pine chest: Easy category.

Major tools needed: CW, table saw (any saw will work but its easier with table saw), drill, router optional for decorative edges, sand paper (scraper and block planes are nice though).
    For breadboard top a biscuit jointer would be nice, but dowels work just as well.

2. Hall table: Intermediate category.

Major tools needed: CW, table saw, drill, router table (optional for drawer construction), sand paper (scraper and block planes are nice though).
    For breadboard top a biscuit jointer would be nice, but dowels work just as well.

The drawer will have different versions to accommodate wood working skills levels and tools. I hate cutting dovetails so I cheat with a router table or pocket screws.

So between now and 1 July 2015 at 23:59 vote for the project you want shared on this thread (project 1 or project 2). The pictures are notional representations. Once the winner is picked I will make a custom design/pattern for the project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hall table.png   pine chest.png  

the chest sells better so I will vote for the chest to be free.

both would good to build!
    Gary
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

I vote for the chest!

Good idea Osacar. I vote for the chest too!

Oscar, that is so nice of you, I for one like boxes, so my vote is the chest! I have made hope chest before made two of them one for my grandaughter and one for daughter but that was before I had the carvewright. Now my wife wants one.... Happy wife... happy life!!!

lol. No words spoken truer. Happy spouse happy life.

The chest may be a bit small for a hope chest.

The chest would be based on an old pattern I developed some 15 years ago. I don't know how many chests I have built based on this design. They are fast and extremely easy to build. No advanced woodworking just butte joints, glue and screws. General dimensions are 30in x 21in x 18in deep. It is based around 1"x6"x6ft pine boards to minimize waste. With a little prep time I have put one together in about 8 hours. The carving will make the overall time a bit longer.

Any suggestions on theme for carvings. I had two ideas in mind but not cemented in stone yet; western or a floral motif.

The western scene I posted in the pictorial section was part of the theme development but again not tied to it.

So You could use a 1"x8"
    1"x10" or 1"x12" to make it ...BIGGER !!! .. I'm a little torn between your two choices... hummm.. floral or western... if I was to look in the Manly Handbook, I'm sure it would say western.
    Last edited by aokweld101; 06-28-2015 at 06:04 PM. Reason: more text

I also vote for the chest looks good
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I'm for the chest also.

Another chest vote thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast