Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex shaft vibration

Default Flex shaft vibration

On my last carve I heard a change in pitch of my machine and noticed a vibration in the flex shaft. The vibration is only on the Z truck end (I have a Carve Tight spindle) and goes from the Z truck up about 8 inches and then disappears. The flex drive has never been overheated. I inspected the core and spring and found nothing wrong. Both ends of the shaft are square and I did the twist test with less than 1/4 turn. I turned the spring and core around (end that was in spindle now is in the cut motor) with no help. I suspected the spindle bearings might be bad so ordered a new Z truck. I installed that and still have the vibration. After more research here found that rotating the top hat may help so tried that. The vibration was reduced a little but not much and after running for about one minute using the cut motor test found the spindle getting hot, the flex drive was not even warm yet. The first inch of the core was hot but I think that was just heat transfer from the spindle. Now I don't know if the new spindle is bad or could the shaft vibration cause the spindle to run hot. Guess trying a new flex shaft will be next unless someone has another idea.

Dale, I am not sure what the cause might be. But, I am down in Burley (near Twin Falls) and can send you my spare used flex shaft assembly to test that angle before you buy one. I was having jittery carve problems and bought a new one to see if it cleared up the problem (it didn't). There were no issues with the shaft/sheath.

If you would like to try it, let me know and I will throw some lube on it tonight and get it in the mail in the morning. PM me your address.

We're you carving or cutting? My flexshafts are always smooth but when I cut they get jittery. A dull bit will transmit some vibration as well. And what kind of lube are you using?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Check the core for end play. It should float freely in the sheath. The vibration could be because the core is being compressed between the spindle and the motor. When pushed back into the motor, the spindle end should only stick out about 1/2". (At least that is as far as it sticks out on both of my machines.) If the circular part of the flex sticks out, it may be getting compressed. You may have to clean out the motor end.

The vibration started while I was carving, but after I changed the Z truck I was using the "check cut motor" feature so there was no bit installed at all. I have about 10 hours on a new cut motor and I used the lube from LHR for the first time when I changed the motor. The core is free floating and when pushed fully in there is 1/2" showing. I did not mention it in my original post but it seems I have to push quit a bit harder to get the shaft to seat into the spindle .

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I did not mention it in my original post but it seems I have to push quit a bit harder to get the shaft to seat into the spindle .
    That may not be free floating if the core jams into the spindle. Try pushing the core by itself all the way into the spindle first and then the sheath into the top hat.

Dan, That did it! Vibration is gone and spindle does not run hot.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dale

Having this same exact problem, But I Just put in a brand new cut motor and new flex shaft. It has a loud vibration and the spindle is heating up fast. Tried 100 times to reseat it with no improvement. Tried lubricating the flex shaft with no improvement. While it does slide all the way in both sides, it is not smooth and it's hard to get the flex shaft back out of the motor. A couple times I had to take the motor right out. Any other ideas?

How far does the spindle end of the core stick out when pushed all the way back into the motor?

I think you will have to find out why the core is tight in the motor. If both parts are new, something may be defective.

10. Default

It sticks out 5/8 which is what how my old one was also but the old flex shaft always came right out and fit much looser. I have my old motor still, maybe change out the end pieces where the flex shaft inserts and see if there is a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast