Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit question

What direction is the bit going in when it breaks? x or y?

From the marks on the board I would say the x axis. It initially touched down and made about a 1/16" depth mark then moved laterally about a 1/4" then broke.

Very strange to break on such a shallow cut. I would not think the board could move that fast. Maybe the truck or spindle is loose. Try and wiggle the bit around by hand and check that the truck is solid on the rails. (Maybe the corrugated tolerance ring has slipped out from around the lower spindle bearing.)

I finally found the problem of breaking bits. I wasn't able to see the machine running when the first two bits broke. After putting on another bit, I watched closely as the machine went through the set up measuring the board etc. When it was about to start carving, the motor turned on, the bit did not spin. But the truck proceeded to keep working, moving on the x, y axis. Without the bit spinning, as the truck moved laterally trying to cut into the board, it would snap off the bit. I quickly realized the flexshaft core had either rounded off on either end to where it was no longer spinning the bit or it broke. I pulled the core out and it was broken about 12" in. I have had the machine for about 3-4 years and by now can usually hear if something isn't right with it but this time it didn't sound any different.

Thanks for all your input guys.

I was considering trying the carving bits on eBay from Drillman1. Could I get some feedback from others on these. I use his cutting bits and am very happy with them. Thanks

I have used the bits he sells for a long time and have not had any problems this them. Also, he is very fair on his shipping prices.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by allenjones View Post
    I was considering trying the carving bits on eBay from Drillman1. Could I get some feedback from others on these. I use his cutting bits and am very happy with them. Thanks
    These are the only bits I have used for at least 3 years, I put them in my carvetight adapters with no problems and I have seen no difference from OEM bits.

Thank you for the input. I will order them. I am trying to cut cost a little. I run my 2 newer machines 6 days a week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12