Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carving A Police Department Badge

1. Default Carving A Police Department Badge

I have had numerous requests for carving police officers badges into wood. Has anyone done this or have any tips or tricks on how to get the badge into the Carvewright Software. I have just used photos of badges, and that does not transfer very well. I would appreciate any help on this. Thank you.

One possible way is to scan the badge to make a pattern. Working with images you do need a high resolution image to get the best results. If you want you can post an image here to see if anyone can help you out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

I've made some badges before. Here's a link to my stuff on the Pattern Depot: http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=50

I've got a video on youtube of some stuff I've made:

I have just completed one in which I scanned a badge on the Carvewright. If you want this shape pm me. I have one which has the top and middle banners on the badge empty.
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

That nice , is that some sort of corian you carved it on
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Henry, yes it is Corian that I bought from a countertop maker here locally. This was a friend and ex-partner that recently past away. His family owns a cabin where this will be displayed.
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Koval View Post
    Henry, yes it is Corian that I bought from a countertop maker here locally. This was a friend and ex-partner that recently past away. His family owns a cabin where this will be displayed.
    Have to say that is nice and thx for the reply
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

If you are looking for a custom pattern, there are some wonderful artists on the site that can build patterns. Alan being one of them. From what I have seen they are all incredibly reasonable. There is also the opportunity to learn how to make your own patterns. There are many different techniques and methods of building patterns. I am finding I enjoy building patterns almost more than building the wood projects. Maybe because as a 25+ year hobby woodworker I have built pretty much everything under the sun and this is new to me. The learning curve is steep but once you are close the learning happens quick.

For example, here is a badge I am currently working for my personal library. It is for a project for a family member that will be retiring from the force soon and I want to do something special for him from the family. I have about 4 hours into it and still have about another 2 to clean it up and optimize the pattern for depth and detail.

My method is to build a 3d model in blender 3d (which is completely free), optimize it for carving height and then save as an stl. I have the stl add on to port into the CW designer which I then use to clean up the pattern using the design editor for all the little high points that tend to show up from messy meshes. I am a novice modeler but I am starting to get good results after a year of a few afternoons a week.

Good luck. There are some good images out there that with a little luck can be ported into CW cleanly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW police badge.jpg  

Here is the pattern of the badge with the blanked out areas. Unfortunately it is in 3.0
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary that turned out wonderful. I'm sure his family will like having that posted on the wall.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast