Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC&W Plaque

Default AC&W Plaque

Just finished this (5 hour carve time) plaque that is to be a surprise for a good friend that has coordinated our annual reunions and hosted our website for many years.

Done on Ash (14x30.5) with a clear finish. The terms and words are unique or common to those who served in the Aircraft Control & Warning radar career fields . . . . it should bring back a memory or two each time he looks at it.

The logo is reverse printed on a transparency - the wood grain shows through areas which are normally white which is much better than using a printed photo I believe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040878.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	76443

Iron Mike
    Beautiful piece of work! I am sure your friend will treasure this greatly. Nice job on the lettering!

Mike,

Your plaque is indeed a real work of art! I am intrigued by your "logo is reverse printed on a transparency" Would you please explain this process?

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Mike,

Your plaque is indeed a real work of art! I am intrigued by your "logo is reverse printed on a transparency" Would you please explain this process?

Chip
    Thanks Chip -

A transparency is what is used for graphic presentations using an overhead projector (old school stuff these days). If you check the 'media' options in the paper/quality drop box for printing a photo you should see all the paper options, i.e., plain paper, photo, iron-on transfer, Transparency Film and so on. Selecting Transparency Film will automatically reverse the image and you print it on the 'textured side'; when viewed from the 'smooth' (top) side the image is correctly oriented. You should give it a seal coat to prevent ink from running if you want to glue it to something. Ends up looking like it's printed on a clear plastic document protector.

Mike

The left image is printed on glossy photo paper and the right image is printed on a transparency (viewed from the front side). Zoom in and you can clearly see the window screen through the transparency.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040881.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	76444

A fun thing to try is to print it on label backing. Peel all of the address labels off, leaving the strip along the top. Print on the shiny side, an ink jet printer is needed. Invert the image (or choose transparency if your printer has it). It will come out of the printer wet (ink didn't soak in). Carefully place on your wood and rub it in with a credit card or sponge. It will look like the old decals on fruit crates. Not as vibrant as the one below, but definitely a cool effect.

Interesting technique! My last 2 of 4 years in the Air Force were running the power plant at an AC&W site outside of Ajo Arizona. That was in 59 and 60. The site has long since been cleared. The sent me there from Thule Greenland. A shocking change in climate.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    Interesting technique! My last 2 of 4 years in the Air Force were running the power plant at an AC&W site outside of Ajo Arizona. That was in 59 and 60. The site has long since been cleared. The sent me there from Thule Greenland. A shocking change in climate.
    Clint
    Do you know about the Radar Site Vets reunion in Dayton, OH 28 Jun - 3 Jul? Next year it's to be in the Wisconsin Dells - just an hour away from us . . . . finaly one close to home! JOIN US?

i spent 20 years in ADC/TAC radar (maintenance) with 4 years at the Radar Eval Sq Hill AFB, UT where I went TDY to many, many sites but didn't get to Ajo . . . retired out of Luke AFB, AZ however.

This was a cool technique. Dumb question? Do you use Inkjet or laser jet? Plan on trying it.

Guess I had it easy at SAC at Offutt AFB working on RC-135's. I was a recon guy.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonCP View Post
    This was a cool technique. Dumb question? Do you use Inkjet or laser jet? Plan on trying it.

Guess I had it easy at SAC at Offutt AFB working on RC-135's. I was a recon guy.
    I use an inkjet - it will work with laser but you print on the 'SMOOTH' side. The 3M Multipurpose Transparency Film that I am using has instructions/printer compatibility info on the back of the package. Other brands may differ so check out the instructions.

Great work Iron Mike!
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast