Thread: Board Sensor Woes

1. Default Board Sensor Woes

So I ran into an issue with my board sensor tossing an error my way as soon as I would hit go on my projects. I have replaced the board sensor, the FFC, board sensor cable, and the Z motor mount electronics board. I am still getting 0 for my board sensor readings and have no idea where to go from here. This has had my machine down far longer than I have cared for. I have read through most every post on this site that I could find to address this and still nothing. I have used the white paper method of testing the sensor and still nothing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am wondering if I am going to have to just box the machine up and send it in for repair.

What is your location maybe some one nearby can help
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

3. Default

I am located near Herington, KS (67449). Going to do another thorough cleaning and reassembly tonight to see what happens but not holding my breath on a positive outcome.

Well, it's not dust. You would have a low reading, but not 0. Check connections.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

How did the initial failure occur? Did the board sensor slowly die? Did it just stop for no reason? Did you do anything to the machine prior to the failure? Need some more clues here. It sounds like you have replaced nearly everything.

This is where buying the 4 conductor cable that goes from the board sensor to the upper circuit board and through the metal track of the truck is worth a million bucks... In the early years I had the ZERO board sensor problem on my first machine and it got a warranty trip to Texas... They replaced the 4 conductor cable and sent the machine back. This was before I had a "Clue" on how to fix the machine.

A few months later my machine #2 that I bought from a Sears store "broken" for $500.00, got the board sensor zero problem after a few weeks of use. Being a non warranty machine it was time to get my feet wet and learn to fix the machine... found the pinched wire caused by ME pulling the wires down when changing the board sensor. The wires slide down along side the plastic wire guide and the SHARP edge of the truck cut the insulation and SHORT the Board Sensor signal to ground. This is where having a spare 4 conductor cable is handy... You can un plug the machine cable on TOP and plug in the spare AND a Board Sensor to check and see if it now works.... PRICELESS.....

Check out the cable part number on the very last parts order I did with LHR. The prices are old and some parts may not be sold anymore.

A temporary fix.... Use the "Butt Floss" trick.... Tug on the cable, first UP to dislodge the pinch then down from the bottom with the power off and board sensor un hooked....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LHR Order 8 2011.jpg   DSC08500_WEB.jpg   DSC08505_WEB.jpg   DSC08507_WEB.jpg  

DSC08502_WEB.jpg   DSC08509_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08492_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-29-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

7. Default

The initial issue was a near catostrophic melt down with the machine. I had a seven hour carve going and I was away from it for a bit. At some point in my absence the flex shaft unwound/or something such as and things got a bit out of control from there. By the time I returned and noticed the issue, the machine had stopped. What I arrived to was the flex shaft having been sucked out of the sheath and sucked back to the motor in a tightly wound ball. The sheath had basically come apart and was located in various spots of my shop. Upon initial inspection, no wires had been clipped, pulled, or melted. I conducted a thorough cleaning, replaced the flex shaft assembly, and fired the machine back up. On my first attempt to carve I started getting the board sensor error when the carve first attempted its measurements. I have since replaced the board sensor, the FFC, board sensor cable, and the Z motor mount electronics board in an attempt to identify the issue. So far, nothing.

All that seems left is part 44, the Head Termination Electronics Board Assembly. It is the board where the FFC ribbon connects to near the Y motor. Could that be it?

The wiring that goes from the termination board on the back of the Y truck down to the board sensor runs through\behind the Z truck assembly. If the Z truck got very hot it is possible the wiring could be shorted or burned. You may have to dis-assemble it and check the wiring. Just a guess but, it might be worth looking into.

You might also try to remove the termination board and the board sensor so the wiring is loose at both ends and give it a little tug in both directions. It should have a little movement if it's not pinched or melted.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-04-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Steve