Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shocking question...

I have a sneaking suspicion that was a rhetorical question...but since I asked myself the same question I had to answer it.

As I understand it, quite possibly incorrectly, double insulated means the machine provides safeguards such that it does not require a 3 prong plug and concurrently direct wiring to the 'ground'. As a result it relies on the neutral to search for a ground. Thus the safeguards are directional. When the wires are reversed at the receptacle, the directional safeguards within the machine are circumvented and where the case/frame/etc. would typically look for a ground through the 'neutral' were they to become charged, the case/frame/etc. Are constantly charged and when looking for a ground have only the 'hot' or positive wire and me.

Also of import.. As many times as I saw the word death in conducting (no pun intended) the search...I'm thinking I am fortunate all I got was a 'buzz.'

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

UL requirements state we cannot have a ground plug if we're double insulated.

You would have to ground yourself to get a shock, and you would get a shock even if the machine is turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    And the plug was wired incorrectly...neutral and positive were reversed. Free advice and no charge. Thanks for the help... Saved me from having to try and figure out how to repack the CW.

Ehh la bas Shasta! You're right around the corner. I'm just north of Iowa.
    So I get lucky once in a while.... Have seen the reverse wiring before... at a Bar Kitchen... A Stove frame was HOT 115 VAC...

Glad you got it....

Check the wires with a flashlight from the right side clear cover switch to cut motor to see if the Z skinned any insulation off the wires... Back right corner....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    So I get lucky once in a while.... Have seen the reverse wiring before... at a Bar Kitchen... A Stove frame was HOT 115 VAC...

Glad you got it....

Check the wires with a flashlight from the right side clear cover switch to cut motor to see if the Z skinned any insulation off the wires... Back right corner....

AL
    Glad I had your help!

Going to look now and shall reply soon.

No skinned wires so far as I can see...thankfully. I was able to try out a carve and get it to come out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150607_140436.jpg  

6. Default

Just jumping on the thread to say south Louisiana here too ! Maybe we can get together sometime and compare notes. You can learn a lot from my failures. Lol.

7. Default

Mandeville here. Moved here a year ago and haven't unpacked the carver yet, really need to.

You guys need to hook up with myshop he is our StartU member down there.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

9. Default

Lake Charles / Iowa here. Who is startu? I'm just not getting into the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide4469 View Post
    Lake Charles / Iowa here. Who is startu? I'm just not getting into the forums.

http://www.carvewright.com/startu/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast