Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 upcoming release

I hope the new IE is friendlier than the old IE. It did not like downloading all of the files for Designer from our website and it did not like people using it to shop in our store.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

IE is gone in windows 10. It has been replaced by a program called edge. You can still use firefox on w10. Have not nor will I try chrome. For those interested in downloading windows 10, go to microsoft.com, follow the large banner to the download. There you will see a media content program that will download a 18M file. Running this will allow you to download windows 10 to a usb drive, an ISO file, and download 32bit, 64bit, home, and pro of windows 10 for later installation on any computer that qualifies for the upgrade. All you need is a windows 10 product key to install it.
    Windows 10 is about like windows 7, the start popup is different, but there is no app buttons on the main screen (at least not this one). Tech areas are still there, just different as to how to get to them. But remember vista and 7 they did the same thing, made us look for them. Plan to get LHR to deactivate the laptop install of designer i have so I can install designer on the 10 machine. (oh the 10 is a new machine built for this purpose, threw a windows 7 pro version on it and then windows 10 download. So it is a clean install.)
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    IE is gone in windows 10. It has been replaced by a program called edge. You can still use firefox on w10. Have not nor will I try chrome. For those interested in downloading windows 10, go to microsoft.com, follow the large banner to the download. There you will see a media content program that will download a 18M file. Running this will allow you to download windows 10 to a usb drive, an ISO file, and download 32bit, 64bit, home, and pro of windows 10 for later installation on any computer that qualifies for the upgrade. All you need is a windows 10 product key to install it.
    Windows 10 is about like windows 7, the start popup is different, but there is no app buttons on the main screen (at least not this one). Tech areas are still there, just different as to how to get to them. But remember vista and 7 they did the same thing, made us look for them. Plan to get LHR to deactivate the laptop install of designer i have so I can install designer on the 10 machine. (oh the 10 is a new machine built for this purpose, threw a windows 7 pro version on it and then windows 10 download. So it is a clean install.)

WARNING: If you upgrade to Windows 10 (or any other operating system), it may change your computer ID and require you to re-register your Designer Software.
    You must have Licenses Available to install like a new computer.
    If you don't have licenses available, and you do this during NON-WORKING HOURS, we cannot help you until the following business day. (I cannot access that from home to help you in the evening or during the weekend.)
    If you need a computer deactivated, let us know which one to deactivate and we will be happy to do that for you.

I am not necessarily saying DON'T upgrade to Windows 10. I'm just saying it may leave you without access to your Designer licenses when you do until we can deactivate the old computer registration.

AGREE with Connie, do this only during working hours. I just had one license deactivated and now have designer 1.187 running on a windows 10 machine and registered with all my software/patterns. Card reader was readable by designer, and I wrote to the flash card. So it is working great.

Remember if you upgrade this is a one way road no turning back. Notice I did it on a new machine. Or like Steve do the hyper v thing.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Windows 10, I like it. It is a return to a simpler desktop and for me, increased functionality. No problems with Designer (version 3) Sculptor or any of my licensed programs thus far. As far as using Windows 10 for all of the other programs I own it has been terrific. A new feature called "Task View" show you all open windows making switching from one program to another a breeze .. faster than Alt Tab even. Thumbs up.

Thank you Rickroy, that is the info I was looking for. Did you have any license problem the Connie suggested might happen?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I have upgraded 2 machines to Windows 10. So far everything has worked except Norton Anti-Virus. Designer Pro, Sculptor, Pattern editor all work fine.

If you don't want to wait you can download it from Microsoft.
    Don

If your Norton it 22.5 it is good for Win 10. Got to help then about to check.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    If your Norton it 22.5 it is good for Win 10. Got to help then about to check.
    Clint
    There is an anti virus that come with window 10
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Designer seems to be working fine with Windows 10, however MANY (not all) are being given a new Computer ID and requiring us to deactivate the old registration.

Also, if you get the error that files have been moved or missing, others on here have discovered that shutting down the computer and bringing it back up fixes the problem.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast