Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 upcoming release

Very good info, Metallus... I appreciate your perspective and agree that at a minimum should wait a bit for the initial bugs to be identified and taken care of...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I had windows 7 on a netbook, so that's not a fair comparison. And I liked that better than 8.1 on my big laptop.
    -Jason

CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I was trying to be nice in what I stated but beta was the wrong word. Read this article, I am not saying windows 10 is good or bad, but you should know a few facts before doing the free upgrade. http://www.infoworld.com/article/293...m-fiction.html
    Microsoft's plan is to get everyone on the same operating system, no more asking what op system are you on. Windows 10 has a whole lot of hidden features just read about Cortana, and what it does using bing. At least they are bringing back the run bar and the start menu, and even letting you decide to have the metro screen. Problem as I see it is the business world. Like the one customer I just upgraded, they have 4 servers each with 25 users, an applications server, server 2012, document management server, server 2008, exchange server 2008 and a TS server 2008. The upgrade of their software was $89,000, and hardware ran another $30,000 plus, not counting labor to install, export, import data, and get the company back up and running. Companies like this can not afford to make the changes as quickly as Microsoft comes out with new software. Nor can the developers of these high dollar software package keep up with the changes as quickly as they are made. Getting the company up to windows 7 was a major ordeal, now to even think about moving them to windows 10 for free before it is tested out on their software is unthinkable. My State customers will always be behind as state IT development moves slowly with limited budgets.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Eddie you are right State IT is slow. IT in Michigan working hard at moving off 2003 servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    Say goodbye to watching DVDs on your pc.
    Why? You mean they're removing Media Player also?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    Gadgets were killed if you upgrade to IE 11, but I like mine, so I avoided that upgrade.
    Interesting. I upgraded to IE 11 (don't use it much) on the laptop I have Win7 but my gadgets didn't disappear.

Just because media player isn't bundled with windows don't assume you won't be able to watch dvd's. This is actually a good thing because you will be able to choose your own media player. Just like mobile OS's windows now uses lots of apps that can be downloaded for free or for a fee.

Also, If you register for the free upgrade you will have up to a year to install it after the release according to the faq.

An icon appeared in my tool tray a couple of days age called Get Windows 10. I do a full backup on the first of the month. I may try it after that so I can undo it if needed. I did this for years on phone company switching computers (soft ware upgrades) and it always makes me nervous.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Were those 5ESS, DMS 100, or EWSD switches? I have a few years with the phone company myself.

I started with #2 ess, went to 2B switches then moved into DMS 10 for m y first digital switches before finally getting a taste of the 5ESS and touched on the DMS100. Been a while. often wondered about where they have evolved since the worlds focus has moved to the wireless networks.
    Rick H

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast