Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 upcoming release

Default Windows 10 upcoming release

So as many of you probably know, windows is releasing version 10 at the end of July. If you have windows 7 or 8, 10 will be a free upgrade. But only for a year, after that you will have to pay. That's great news as long as 10 is a decent upgrade.
    So here comes my questions.
    1. Will the carvewright software run on it at the end of July right out of the box?
    2. If not, how long will it take?
    3. Are we going to be able to take advantage of the free upgrade?

The very brief research I have done, it looks pretty good. There are always bugs though. In a perfect world, everything will work in perfect harmony, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    -Jason

I just downloaded a 81 page book/white paper called "inside Windows 10". It is on this computer, but also on my laptop so I can sit in my recliner and read - when I get time.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Yes widows 10 is being released. but read the fine print. You are a beta tester with the free version.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Yes widows 10 is being released. but read the fine print. You are a beta tester with the free version.
    Even if I'm not apart of the insider program?
    -Jason

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

When you upgrade to 10, you give up your win 7 or 8 license, with no way to get it back. Be sure of the commitment you're making.

That being said, I tested an early beta version of win 10 and the designer worked fine on it. ymmv.

I'm not a huge fan of 8, 8.1, or 10 as the apps can quickly get anyone confused. Apps are separate and many times duplicated with a standard "windows" version and a "metro" version. Finding settings can be tough -- you either use the control panel for the "windows" version, or you can use the equivalent "metro" app you find using the search function.

I want to make sure everything works fine if I upgrade. I have 8.1 now, but like the looks of 10 better. Is it true about what eelamb wrote? I do realize that I can't go backwards. I'm just thinking that if bill gates is offering free access to 10, that he realizes 7 and 8 suck.
    -Jason

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

I'm not sure about the beta-tester thing. I doubt that would be the case when the release officially comes out.

I don't believe MS thinks 7 or 8 sucks, either. I think they want to keep people upgraded so they can phase out older OS's, in the way Apple does. MS wants more people developing for win 10, so giving it away free makes sense.

Review the following web page as part of your decision. There are hardware requirements involved. Especially if your PC is more than 4 years old.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

I like 7 and am still researching 10, but my big concern with 7 is that as with XP, they stopped supporting it and while it still using it on one laptop, it isn't what it used to be. I am afraid 7 will soon fall in the same barrel...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I'm just fine with Win 7 also. Stable and does what it's supposed to do...let's me get my work done without any user interface hassles, etc. I absolutely hate Win 8 interface. I haven't seen Win 10 yet, but I sure do hope its interface is similar to 7!! (I do NOT want GIANT-SIZED icons or menus or links anywhere on my screen.)
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-08-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I doubt that would be anytime soon. The initial release of 10 will be buggy - personally I would wait for them to work out the issues.

Here's some things to consider from Microsoft about 10:

For certain third party applications, the “Get Windows 10” app will scan for application compatibility. If there is a known issue that will prevent the upgrade, you will be notified of the list of applications with known issues. You can choose to accept and the applications will be removed from the system prior to upgrade. Please be sure to copy the list before you accept the removal of the application.
    I interpret this as "some apps won't work".

Windows Media Center will be removed.
    Say goodbye to watching DVDs on your pc.

Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10
    Gadgets were killed if you upgrade to IE 11, but I like mine, so I avoided that upgrade.

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    I interpret this as "we force your pc to download and install updates".

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast