Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Pierced Heart Pattern

Steve,

Great project! Just viewed the tutorial which is outstanding, great learning tool for use of the software. thanks for your outstanding work!!!

2. Default

I didn't think that patterns in the pd were editable by adding or changing things. I'll buy it and try it anyway, I like it. Love the video, very easy for an old guy like me to follow. Also learned some new things. Thanks Steve

I've got a couple of requests on the procedure and board thicknesses I used to make the two-toned Pierced Heart so I'll post it here in the forum so it may help anyone that wants to try it.

For the two-toned pierced heart I edge glued up two pieces of Walnut to get a board slightly larger than 12" square. Then did the same out of Maple. After the glue dried I planed and sanded the Walnut to a thickness of EXACTLY 7/16" (.4375). Then I planed and sanded the Maple to a thickness of about 1/2". I glued the two together and after the glue dried, I planed and sanded the Maple side only so the glued up board was 3/4" thick. I used a board size in the Designer of 12" by 12" instead of 18" by 12" and then uploaded each side to the card as separate projects. Then I used Bergerud's Universal Carrier Base for the sled and ran each side separately.

I highly recommend that you cut a prototype out of MDF or scrap wood to test the thicknesses before using any expensive wood. You don't have to let the project run to completion. Just long enough to get measurements. The measurements may vary from machine to machine depending on the tracking and accuracy of your machine. Even then, it still took me 2 attempts to get it right.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 06-03-2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Grammer
    Steve

Great video Steve.

Hope to see more.

Outstanding carving.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

I have completed the first of 2 hearts I have carved. This one is for my son and future daughter-in-law who are tying the knot this weekend. Even though I have written my share of checks for this wonderful event, I couldn't help but want to carve this for them when I saw Steve's earlier post. It carved very well (although a long carve) and wasn't too difficult to final sand. My bride did her magic on the finishing and we hope they like it. It will be a fun weekend, I am sure. The second heart is about done as well and will be a gift to some friends getting married later this month. Very unique and personalized presents for those special couples. Thanks, Steve for the design and instructions. Well done!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matt-NinaHeart.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	818.3 KB 
ID:	76902
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Great video Steve! Good job on this one!

John, that is really nice. Great job on the finish, too. Your friends will love it for a lifetime!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks, Michael. I think my son will be surprised.
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

John,

You did a really nice job on the carving, text placement, and the finish. I'm sure your son and future daughter-in-law will like it too and always think of you when they see it hanging on the wall.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Great video Steve! Good job on this one!
    Thanks Suzanne!
    Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast