Thread: edge lit acrylic night light

1. Default edge lit acrylic night light

I have a request for a personalized night light for a child, but I have no idea how to light it. I have made acrylic signs with led lighting in a wooden base, but I need something that will plug directly into the wall outlet and allow insertion of acrylic panel. Any ideas?

What about using a night light that uses a Christmas type of light. I did a search once for lithopane night lights and found lots of information using them
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

t-townwilson... I think I may have found you a solution... try this website:

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subc...d=19&scid=2341

This reminds me of when I visited my local stained glass studio here in town. They sell a night light holder that they use to set their stained glass projects on adn I don't see why it wouldn't work with lithophanes as well... but the link I provided is a source, sorry middle man, but they seem to be cheaper in quantity.

I also sent you a pm.. Thanks John

Another avenue for led that I really like and have used when I needed battery operated led lighting is:

www.modeltrainsoftware.com

good hunting
    Last edited by Canemaker; 05-23-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add info

4. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	77238Here is a sample of what I ended up with. I used a $3.98 night light from Lowe's and a 3"x5" piece of acrylic for carve. I tried to duplicate profile of original night light insert so that carved piece would stay in base, but the new acrylic is thinner than the original, so I used CA glue to hold it in place. Have sold 5 so far @$15, and have decided to increase price to $20.

Simple project on CW. I carved an MDF sled to hold the 3x5 acrylic, but even with double-sided tape, the acrylic often tipped up and broke during carve. Finally used 2 pieces of tape and haven't had any break. Hope that continues to work. I saw a post on forum yesterday that someone used screws to hold an item in a sled. Might have to try that too.

Thanks for input from you guys. I still have LOTS to learn!!

I wonder how a coat of paint on the back would look?

Default Child's night light

This is may be the answer, it is at www.Candlestonegifts.com , look at the night lights kits.
    You can change the color of the light too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liger night lite 2.jpg   liger night lite 4 (337 x 600).jpg   night litho sled 003 (450 x 600).jpg   guardin angel 1 (337 x 600).jpg  

My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

8. Default

The lithopone carvings are beautiful, but I'm trying to keep the cost low, and the child's name on acrylic seems to be desirable and cost effective. I think I'll experiment with a coat of paint on back of acrylic, though.

Thanks, all!