Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pendulum wall clock project (Intermediate level)

What was I thinking, I cannot make your patterns Oscar. The software won't allow me!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Going with a nature theme, I developed a creeping buttercup flower pattern for the side of the case. It is my wife's favorite flower so got some much needed brownie points.

The mpc shown was created by simply doubling the pattern and then mirroring across the center. I then used a square carved region to even out the blank areas so there wouldn't be any high points in the pattern.
    You have a private message
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Suzanne,

Thank you for the very gracious offer. My concern was for some of the CW users using version 1 of Designer who may have problems creating their own designs with the patterns I am sharing. But this is a blank slate so they can use their own patterns if they want.

Again thank you for the thought and kind offer.

Regards,
    Oscar

Took the day off so I've started building the clock today. Its supposed to be dry today but the rest of the weekend its forcasted to rain.

Already I am discovering things I didn't do correctly in the plan. Like in the arch, I did not account for the 1/8 cut from the bit for the doors. So the stile are slightly too large. Also the back panel will be 10" minus the width of the case wood and not 10". So another error.

I will make a clean up this afternoon of the cut material and plans to make all the changes needed that I am discovering now through trial and error. So far fairly minor.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Took the day off so I've started building the clock today. Its supposed to be dry today but the rest of the weekend its forcasted to rain.

Already I am discovering things I didn't do correctly in the plan. Like in the arch, I did not account for the 1/8 cut from the bit for the doors. So the stile are slightly too large. Also the back panel will be 10" minus the width of the case wood and not 10". So another error.

I will make a clean up this afternoon of the cut material and plans to make all the changes needed that I am discovering now through trial and error. So far fairly minor.
    Oscar48 you did not answer my private message any reason why
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Henry,

Sorry meant to get back to it and got distracted...squirrel. Sent you my email address.

Taking a 10 min break to let some glue set. I am trying to get all the pieces cut to final dimension today and if the weather holds I can assemble it tomorrow. Mad dash to beat the weather.

Regards,
    Oscar

Time beat me. Just did 10hrs of straight woodworking and I am beat and starting to make mistakes so quitting for the day and opening a bottle of good vodka. I have all the major pieces cut to dimension with a few exceptions. I started the finials on the lathe but after rushing it, the second one looks nothing like the first so that was the aha moment I had to stop.

A few initial thoughts; the rosettes I picked are too intricate for the size. I lost a lot of wow factor because they are so small in comparison to the piece. The creeping buttercup design came out great. If they were bigger they would have been the star of the piece.

Since I only use hardwoods I attempt to minimize the waste as much as I can and today I wish I had bergerud's new fangled carrier. Because I didn't use the 7" rule the bit wandered towards the end of the cut on the arch due to the wood being under only one roller. Some time at the bandsaw and sanding station saved the piece but another lesson learned. At the end of the day I only have a nice pile of cut pieces now and a door to show for my efforts.

I still need to route the edges on the shelves, cut the bottom back panel and need to turn 6 more finials. I will have to figure out how I will be hiding the screws. It should be fairly simple with all the layers of wood in the piece so in the end there should only be one set of screws visible in the worst case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door day 1.jpg   case sides day 1.jpg   top arch day 1.jpg   pile of stuff 2 day 1.jpg  

pile of stuff day 1.jpg  

Default house finch head

Still playing on the pattern to use for the bottom back panel (5"x4"). I want a small bird but so far my poor modeling skills has been a source of frustration. So far I have a head developed that I think I may use. It is a strong contender at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finch.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default finials

I am going to try an experiment next weekend when I have a chance to resume this project. I find turning very soothing and enjoyable but I get impatient and my repeatability is pretty bad because I don't take the time to measure things out correctly. So I am going to see how the finials come out as an STL two part carvings using the CW. I may have to throw them back on the lathe for sanding but I believe it should work.

The pattern is of one slice only which you then have to carve two of them and glue together. Given the amount of waste you get from turning this is actually a lot more thrifty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finials.jpg  

So you I guess you do not want to do double sided? Another idea is to do two halves and drill guide holes. Then you can glue them together before you break them out. Use 1/8" pins to line up the halves. If you used book matched boards...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finials.png  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast