Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendulum wall clock project (Intermediate level)

Default Pendulum wall clock project (Intermediate level)

With not having a shop and subject to the whims of the weather I have been making patterns all weekend because of rain instead of making saw dust. I also went back and re-looked at the wall clock plan I was going to make. It was going to be a quick and fairly plain classic wall clock. I have re-thought the project and I think I will do carved sides and front on this project to make use of the CW.

One of the little nags in the back of my mind is that there haven't been a lot of complex projects on here so I will drag anyone along if they want as I do the build. I will share all the patterns I develop as I go along the way. I will be following the plans on this one so it should be something everyone can do with a few additional tools (table saw, drill, lathe, router).

The rough plan is enclosed. I plan to do it in hard maple through out but any lumber will work.

This I think is in the intermediate level project only because of the size and number of pieces. There will be no advanced joinery involved but only butt joints reinforced with hidden screws and pocket screws as mechanical fasteners plus of course wood glue. It is a fairly big piece (38"x16"x7").

Tools needed:
    Table saw or other saw to cut lumber to final dimensions.

Drill for the pre-drilling holes for the screws.

A router for edge profiles.

Lathe to turn the columns and create the finials.

And of course the CW with 1/8" and 1/16" bits.

The project will start in earnest next weekend as long as I don't get rained out again. I bought a quartz clock mechanism with chimes for about $75. They range from $50 to $200 depending on quality and features. You can also go with a mechanical movement but they will run in the several hundred dollar range to the sky is the limit. Sometime this week I will figure out the material and cut list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My pendulum wall clock pattern.jpg  

Very nice project Oscar! You should offer it at the CW store.

nice one love making clocks can't wait to see it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Suzanne,

Thank you. High praise indeed. This project is actually more of a blank slate for the CW community. You can build it without CW fairly easily and quickly. I was planning on having this built in a weekend but now it will take much longer with carvings. It will also be 10 times better looking with the carvings. But as blank slate you all can pick your carvings or wait until I have finished mine and see if you like the choices I made.

I am also not quite comfortable yet as a pattern builder. I have improved a lot but I still am not where I want to be.

Regards,
    Oscar

Henry,

Me too.

Oscar

Very Nice Oscar ,,, Glad to see your so willing to share ... I'm sure you'll have several takers on this one... I would be one of em if I wasn't so busy ... This would be something I might do over the winter ...

Kevin
    Middletown, NJ
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Default Cut and material list

Rough estimate is it will take about 9 bft of lumber to complete the project. I always buy about 20%-25% more due to waste in getting final dimensions and for those eventual, "Dang! I should have measured twice before I cut that."

Optional is molding to create an additional shadow line at the top and bottom shelf plus hide the seam where the back panel butts against the case. Because it is the largest piece I plan to use only screws with no glue on the back panel so that it floats a little so that future shrinkage doesn't crack the wood and the molding will also serve to hide the change in size. Molding will be your choice of profile.

As you can see from the cut list the majority of the pieces are basic squares. CW will be used to cut the arch for the top and the shelf brackets. After that you can pretty much carve on any open flat surface you like to get the overall look you want. I plan to carve the top arch, door top, door stiles, side case panels, and bottom back bracket. Not sure yet if I want to carve the side shelf brackets. I will be using a lathe to turn the finials and columns from the glued up blanks.

There will be a sheet of glass that will be used on the door. Router and table saw will be used to cut out the rabbet. I plan to use stained glass because I can.

edit: forgot you will need hinges for the door and optional lock. I plan on using piano hinges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cut list.pdf  

Default question and first input

Is there a way to make this into a pattern instead of an mpc?

If not, I am including the two rosettes I previously posted but re-enclosing here so you don't have to search for them. These are mine so I am finally get to carve them. I knew I built them for a reason. I used the basic Filagree 05 and Filagree 01 with mirror function. The arch is built by connecting two straight lines and an arch using toggle to control points on a 7"x10" board. I will cut it out this weekend if you want to wait and see how it comes out for me.

Hopefully I'll have the patterns for the sides and base panel by then. I'll be starting those tonight. Wife chose a nature theme so thinking creeping vines with birds for the sides.

Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top arch.jpg   geometric rosette8.jpg   acorn rosette.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default clock case side carve pattern

Going with a nature theme, I developed a creeping buttercup flower pattern for the side of the case. It is my wife's favorite flower so got some much needed brownie points.

The mpc shown was created by simply doubling the pattern and then mirroring across the center. I then used a square carved region to even out the blank areas so there wouldn't be any high points in the pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails case side.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can send me the files Oscar and I'll make the patterns for you.
    info@suzannewoodworking.ca

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast