Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Light Strips (How to use).

1. Default

I have tried attaching the led light strip to the perimeter of the box with little success, though many do that. My experience has been that I see "hot spots" through the litho, and insufficient illumination. I prefer to run the strips in parallel lines on the board behind the litho. This process use more lights, but they are not costly. I also use a 12V A/C adapter with all my lithos. I buy 8X10 shadow boxes at Hobby Lobby for about $12 when they are on half-prce sale every other week. Can't build it that cheaply. I line the backer board with silver foil. I estimate that I have approximately $45 invested in each litho, and sell them for $150. Below are pictures of a sample of my lithos. (sorry about the pictures that should be rotated. I don't know how��
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	76185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	76186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	76187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0217.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	76188

This is the light strips I've been using http://www.ebay.com/itm/350349873777...84.m1423.l2649 They are a nice bright light and so far the adhesive seems to hold very well on the foil tape.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Mugsowner and T-townwilson, in regards to power supplies I have a question. I have some LED strips rated at 12V 2A 24W and a power supply at 12V 1A, I noticed one of you mentioned using old computer power supplies? I have a few laying around that are otherwise junk but noticed the rated output is 19V at 3A - correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that fry the LED lights? and is there a simple way to step down the output a little so I can put these useless plugs to good use? Thanks in advance!
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PSQRD View Post
    Mugsowner and T-townwilson, in regards to power supplies I have a question. I have some LED strips rated at 12V 2A 24W and a power supply at 12V 1A, I noticed one of you mentioned using old computer power supplies? I have a few laying around that are otherwise junk but noticed the rated output is 19V at 3A - correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that fry the LED lights? and is there a simple way to step down the output a little so I can put these useless plugs to good use? Thanks in advance!
    Not sure what type of supply you have there. They may be stating total DC voltage supplied to output. Could you post a picture of the supply. Do you have a DC volt meter? There should be one green wire in the harness. This is a signal wire used to tell the power supply that it is hook up to a pc allowing it to turn on. Connect the green wire to one of the black wires next to it in the harness. If it does not turn on try a different black wire. Black wires are your grounds. The yellow wires shouid have 12+volt on them.

Laptop power supply to be specific, I'll post a picture if I can get it to work with my phone. I havent' peeled back the wire yet to see what color is under the black insulation.
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Lights will only draw amps they need as long as you are above what is required you will not have an issue. Make sure DC or AC is what lights need and that is what your CPU is supplying.

Quote Originally Posted by PSQRD View Post
    Laptop power supply to be specific, I'll post a picture if I can get it to work with my phone. I havent' peeled back the wire yet to see what color is under the black insulation.
    I have never used a laptop supply, but I am sure they will work, but you will have to figure out the wire youself. The voltage needs for the laptop should be same as a pc.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Lights will only draw amps they need as long as you are above what is required you will not have an issue. Make sure DC or AC is what lights need and that is what your CPU is supplying.
    This is true, they will only draw the power they need, but that only goes for amps/watts. Voltage is not the same, you must not over feed voltage. Some items may handle a couple volts higher than their rating. Example is autos which are 12 volt, but when running they have a voltage around 13.5, which does no damage to the 12 volt componets used in their build. If you would put higher voltages to items it seems to let the smoke out of the item rendering it useless.

Yes Mugsowner you are right I was only talking about amps and making sure voltage and dv or ac is matched.

That is what I saw, which I thought was great. Just thought I would just get a touch more in to it help everyone understand what we are doing to light these up. I should state to add always check the voltage req. on the strip you are using. Leds (light emiting diodes) are DC powered and 3 volts as a single led. The strips you can find normaly are wired for 12 volt DC. Most strips may be cut to the length you need, but are in groups of three and must be cut this way example 3 leds long, 6 leds long, 9 leds long, and so on. There are cut line on them to help with this. At the cut lines there are solder tabs on each side of the cut.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12