Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three Birds Tiling

Thanks everyone. Tiling has been on my list of things to try. The black bird is ebony, the doves are holley, and the cardinals are rosewood. The back is black walnut. I started by tracing a picture on a 1/64" snap grid.

She loves Escher and tiling so I am pretty sure she will like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Bird Trace.png  

Dan,By far one of the best retirement gifts ever, beautiful...
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Dan, that is a great award that will be treasured forever. The finish is fantastic! I've been considering doing something like this for intarsia projects. Seems like after I complete one on the scroll saw and give it as a gift, several people ask for a similar piece. I was thinking the CW would be perfect for this task as long as the individual pieces took in to account the limits of the bit radii when cutting them out. I've seen several projects in the store (wreaths) that group pieces, but I'm thinking of using a wide variety of wood selections to complete projects.
    I saw your second post on this thread of your work in progress and was curious of how your using the individual vectors, as well as how you did the piece. One of the projects I'm considering duplicates an image and involves an eagle in flight. I don't want to create all the feathers, and your technique looks like it might work for what I have in mind. If you don't mind sharing your process, I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate learning from the master!
    Tracy

World's largest supplier of custom carved firewood.

The birds share vectors. What I did was draw all the individual shared segments once on a snap grid (two point beziers). Then I made each bird by copying and pasting the pieces together. This gives the birds with exactly the same edges. The vertices had to be changed to free so the segments could be connected without going all tangent. After that, I have the bird outlines that all fit together in Designer. There are problems with the bit radius as you say. Next time, I will radius the corners. In the end, I had to do too much "fitting". This was my first try at this and I plan to try this again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three bird outlines.png  

Holy Mackerel Dan !!!!
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

6. Default

Wow, did I say wow? Wow

Very nice. love it, great job

Out standing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Thanks. I finished wet sanding and polishing. I love lacquer. Now it does not look like it even has a finish. The birds just look like polished gem stones.

For those who have not tried using lacquer, you must try it. Lacquer is very forgiving to use and the results can be made like glass.

The finish is hard to do justice to with pictures. One must see it with reflected light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010135.JPG   P1010126.JPG   P1010125.JPG  

Man that is nice I am going to try lacquer now ,,what you use to polish it with you do it by hand or,,,, and you have a private message
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast