Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing text carving

1. Default

Have only found those narrow v-bits in 1/4 shaft. (MLCS) That is why I wish CW would offer some different degrees with a pressed collar. But I use Whiteside collars which have 6 "squeeze slots" and haven't had any slippage. I put a CW plastic collar above and below and am careful when slipping them in the chuck not to use very much pressure and the depth has always been approved by the machine. Have used 45 degree bits also and quite honestly, unless it is a large sign I don't go above the 45 degree much anymore. Just looks nicer on wall plaques to me. Outside signs in cedar or white oak are a different story.

2. Default

Your photos are a better example of the quality of text when using the narrow v-bits. As said before when I do a plaque on fine grain wood it really compares to laser carving. Good plaques rmock.

Highly impressive.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Thank you for sharing this info. (My learning curve is slower than yours )

Quote Originally Posted by stoneandtimber View Post
    Re: small plaques, bird houses or similar. For awhile now I have been using a 22 degree bit for centerline text carving that needs to be small text. I have found it to be very good when doing small signs or very small lettering. For example I put small signs on my bird houses to give them a light-hearted theme. With the 22 degree bit I can make the signage as small as about 1/4 inch and still come out very sharp. When finished I sand lightly on a mop then give a light coat of shellac to seal. Selecting a preferred stain color I finger rub across the lettering and out to the sign edges making sure the lettering is completely filled with the stain. Then immediately rub off as much stain as possible which leaves the lettering still filled and the sign board very very light colored. When dry it is ready for final finishing with clear. Have found the 22 degree bit using small lettering to appear as sharp as though laser carved. Applying the stain accents the text and it really stands out and rubbing away the stain leaves the lettering impressively sharp. I buy that bit from MLCS for about $9. Wish CarveWright would get into some of these bits in a pressure fit collar for convenience. I have a slow learning curve so most of you will already know all this.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

That text is wonderful...I don't have Designer 3 (still at 1.187). Is 3 worth the money ???

Quote Originally Posted by rmock View Post
    we use a 30 degree
    also just upgraded to designer 3 for the improved centerline text.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-degree-an...item58c11ca0dcAttachment 76021Attachment 76022
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

6. Default

I have used the 22 degree bits also, and tried to fill with stain. I think I must not have wiped it off quickly enough, because I have struggled to sand off all the stain on top surface. Your work is beautiful! My machine continues to carve inconsistent depths

Did you seal the wood with no-wax shellac before doing the carve with the 22degree bit ??? After the carve is done you can stain the text.
    The stain will wipe off the wood fairly easily. When the stain dries you can sand the wood lightly if needed for a lighter color stain or clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by t-townwilson View Post
    I have used the 22 degree bits also, and tried to fill with stain. I think I must not have wiped it off quickly enough, because I have struggled to sand off all the stain on top surface. Your work is beautiful! My machine continues to carve inconsistent depths
    Carver in Minnesota

I've used that bit often and it does do a very good job on small text or details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12