Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

bergerud,
    I received an email from Connie with a link to download an update to your UCB patterns. Could you please tell me what the updates changed or what error it fixed (if any)? I am about half through assembling my UCB and am wondering if some part is not correct and needs to be re-carved.

TIA for your reply,
    George
    George

Look at previous posts 11 and 12. It is not anything to worry about. Some corner points were a few thousandths off of the snap grid. Two hair widths!

(The only reason I even fixed it was to experiment and see if a protected file in a project could be replaced without having to re license.)

I got mine cut out last Saturday and on the last one when it was finished the Crank Torque Plate broke into so I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I order parts right away Saturday the 9th and I received an email at 3:39 today that the information was finally sent to UPS from LHR and that the package should arrive on Monday the 19th. I even paid for 3 Day UPS Select. Lot of good that did. I thought parts were sent out quicker than that. Oh well, live and learn.
    I have had time to assemble them since my machines are down.
    Can't wait to try the carrier board though.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

4. Default

I have carved 3 projects on this jig and all have worked very well. I love it that it only measures the board and not the jig saves a lot of time. I advise everyone to make this board carrier and then sell your stock in double stick tape and masking tape.

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    I advise everyone to make this board carrier and then sell your stock in double stick tape and masking tape.
    I hope Al is sitting down when he reads that! LOL.

Thanks for the feedback. It makes me a bit nervous when my stuff gets made and used. Great to hear it works!

Bergerud,

I finally got my parts for the machine this afternoon. It didn't take long to replace the broken Crank Torque Plate so then I had time to try out the carrier board and it worked fantastic, just as advertised. I think it will take a lot of aggravation out of the whole process for a lot of people.

Can't wait to see your next Carvewright changing project.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

I am so happy to get the positive feedback. Thanks.

Dan,

Well, I finally finished the UCB. As I stated earlier, I made mine out of 5/8" Oak and the results are stellar. The documentation is pretty good and easy to follow and I had very little trouble assembling it. After finishing the UCB, I carved my first project on it. However, instead of using a shim and a block of wood to set the height of the board in the Carrier, I used a rabbeted block (see pic). It was much easier and I didn't need 3 hands. The carving is for one of my daughters and it came out very good also. It's just MDF as I wanted to see how the UCB handled pierced carvings and I couldn't have asked for better results. The actual size of the carving was 8.25" by 8.25" and I used a board that was 10.5" square so it saved a lot of wood .The next carving will be out of mesquite and I'll post the pics as soon as it is complere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heart1.jpg   Heart2.jpg   Heart3.jpg   Rabbeted Set Block.jpg  

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-20-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Grammer and rotate pictures
    Steve

Nice job. I want an oak one now too! Nice how the piercing worked.

The only issue I had was when trying to jog to the line the machine would stop about 1/8" from the line and would not advance any further. Probably because the roller dropped. Consequently, the touch hole on the other side was off by an 1/8" also. I fixed it by making the touch hole 3/8" in diameter. Since the sides are 5/8" thick this seems to work. This is sort of better as all I have to do is jog until the carrier stops and then press enter.

EDIT: I guess I could move the touch block to the other touch hole.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-21-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    Steve

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast