Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Carrier in action. Some black walnut only 3/8" thick with a support board under it.
    So COOL, Dan! Excellent accessory for all.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Dan,

I just bought the project from the Pattern Depot and I have been reviewing the instructions. It looks fairly straight forward and I plan to build mine out of Oak tomorrow. In the notes for the UCB-36 you stated that 5/8" thick boards could be substituted for the 1/2" boards with a couple of modifications. Can this be applied to the UCB-24 also? Since I have to plane the boards to thickness it would be less planing.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Dan,

I just bought the project from the Pattern Depot and I have been reviewing the instructions. It looks fairly straight forward and I plan to build mine out of Oak tomorrow. In the notes for the UCB-36 you stated that 5/8" thick boards could be substituted for the 1/2" boards with a couple of modifications. Can this be applied to the UCB-24 also? Since I have to plane the boards to thickness it would be less planing.
    Sure. The first ones I made were all 5/8". The touch hole is then right in the middle of the side. I would have made the plans for 5/8" only I figured 5/8" MDF was hard to find.

Thanks Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Too many parts.........
    It is true, I always seem to end up making lots of parts. You should see some of my other projects.

If I can get my cw to work I will certainly consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Actually Suzanne it is not that bad. It looks like a lot to begin with but once you get started it is pretty easy. Mine is almost complete.

Suzanne,

The carrier may also beat the stair stepping problem we have had on cutouts. If the tracking problems really are caused by cutting bit vibration near the brass roller (as I think), then the carrier would fix it. All of my cutouts so far using the carrier have been right on, so, I am hopeful.

Start another thread on your problem and lets get it fixed!

How bout a video Dan ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I think there would have to be a sequence of videos. I did make one:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...725#post245725

I have been thinking about it.

9. Default

I finished my carrier base today. I will have to try it out tomorrow. I am wondering if I missed something as the side rails will only go down to hold a 1" board. The dowel on the touch block bottoms out in the slot stopping the rails from going down all the way. I am thinking about cutting off the dowels and gluing strips of 1/4" plywood on the sides making a channel for the touch block guides as I am worried about weakening the carrier by lengthening the slots. Like I said I might have missed something.

Just flip the blocks over!

Edit: I mean so the dowels are out.

Edit edit: you could also leave the blocks off. If the bit cannot make it down to the blocks, they do nothing anyway. If I recall, a 1" board with the standard carving bit is the limit of bit reach.
    Last edited by bergerud; 05-13-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast