Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Same here time to make some sawdust
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    So now that I have this made, the question is how do I do 2 sided carving? several of my patterns have a keyhole on the reverse side for hanging and Im wondering how to accomplish that.
    Thanks
    You can do two sided carving as you would with the board on the belts. As Dale said, however, it would be the easiest to just do it as two separate projects.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were taking about measuring the width of the board. Forget the tape. (The length of the carrier cannot be measured as it has no ends.)

If the machine is not finding the ends of the board, it probably has to do with the roller switches. Make sure the 1/8" high board is under both rollers when you do the initially lower the head. You should hear both roller switches switch at about the same time. The idea is that they are set "hair triggered" so they unswitch when the roller drops the 1/8" from the board to the carrier.
    So is this to say that its finding the end of the board by using the roller switches? Mines telling me to clear the board sensor - granted I am probably not 1/8 tall.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You can do two sided carving as you would with the board on the belts. As Dale said, however, it would be the easiest to just do it as two separate projects.

Thanks - I got my carrier together and am trying out a few things (trying to follow directions is the hardest)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    So is this to say that its finding the end of the board by using the roller switches? Mines telling me to clear the board sensor - granted I am probably not 1/8 tall.
    The roller switch must first click as the roller rolls off the board end. Then the machine then uses the board sensor to locate the end of the board.

I have this problem occasionally even though I use a piece of 1/8th plywood to set the board 1/8th inch above the rails, just raising the board a little higher solves the problem.

I finally got my UCB put together, only after glueing and un-gluing several time to get it correct. What I am wondering is, has anyone made a video of how to actually use it. I am much better at learning by watching somerthing being done than to read it on paper. I believe I have the basics of how to set ip up but would like to see how someone else actually does it from beginning to end, where the carving starts that is.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Default Two questions on the UCB

I have built and used the 24 and am in the process of putting the 33 together. It is a wonderful tool and so nice to not have to waste 7 inches of wood anymore. I am not at home and don't have the plans in front of me so forgive for my description here. There are a series of holes on the top outside of each upright above the level of where the the slots for adjusting the rails. What are these for? Also I am a little puzzles by the purpose of the semi triangular piece that the 40mm furniture bolt goes through. My first thought is that is set the maximum depth for a piece of wood, but based on what the plans say that piece does does allow me to reach that level. I'd appreciate any insight anyone could lend. Thanks!

The holes in the top of the right side and the blocks bolted to the sides are all so that the machine will measure the board as if the board was down on the belts. The holes are for the bit to bob beside the board and the blocks are to provide the brass roller and sliding plate touch points.

Thank you for explaining that. Makes perfect sense now. I do appreciate you taking the time to help clear that up for me.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast