Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Thank you.
    Don

I'm having a problem with my UCB. I get noticeable snipe occurring about 2-1/4" from either end of the board (if there is a carved region in that area). It looks exactly like snipe from a planer. I have not had this occur while using the old 7" extra wood and tape method. My UCB is the 24" model and I assembled it per the instructions. I adjusted my outfeed rollers to just barely touch/kiss the bottom of the UCB runners. (Also, the snipe will occur on a short board where the outfeed rollers do not come into play.) I have always made sure to adjust the board .125" above the UCB rails, and always clamp the head down before loading the first bit. I am using a C model machine. I haven't completed many carvings using the UCB yet- so I do not have a lot of data on this snipe. I love the convenience of the UCB- but the snipe occurs every carving and so is becoming a big waste of wood and time.

I searched this thread and didn't find anything about snipe with the UCB. Anyone experience this or know what is going on here? Thanks for the help!
    Mark W

I have not had this problem but some others have. I did make some shims which seem to be the solution. See the post:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...552#post248552

I purchased it, but haven't assembled it yet. But I would think that if the board is .125 above the rails, as the compression rollers "fell" off your board, it would cause a change in carving height (your snipe?)

I see now that is exactly my problem. The shims are a wonderful fix- thank you!
    Mark W

I wonder why a few people have this problem. Could it be that your head pressure is too large?

7. Default

Recently, I perused the pdf for the "Universal Carrier Base" and was sufficiently impressed to rush and download the project file. Before starting to build the UCB, I felt that I needed a better understanding of the build procedure and using the UCB.
    In general I was not too confused by the build, but got hung up by "Step 3 - Measuring the Board" in the project instructions. Specifically, in the first sentence, it states that the sliding plate should be "between the Carrier sides." Isn't the position of the sliding plate taken in account by the operating program?

The program has no idea where the sliding plate is. The sliding plate is so far down below that the bit can never find it. I say to put the sliding plate up against the inside of the left side of the carrier because I think that is the best place for it. In that position, the sliding plate will keep the carrier against the squaring plate even if the carrier sides are not parallel.

Just built the UCB but I am having problems measuring the actual project board. going through the steps...
    1. Load board in middle of sled with 1/8" above carrier
    2. Place carrier in machine with sliding plate on the inside of the leg of the key board side rail and black squares are under the y axis rail.
    3. Lower the head down to just touch carrier.
    4. Select project and chose not to stay under rollers.
    5. Lower the head until it changes to "enter"
    6. Machine will measure width of board but then will measure the carrier not the board.
    This is my problem. Can someone clearify what I am doing incorrectly?

Greg Brown

Basic, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, Keyhole, Version 2 Upgrade, Version 3 Upgrade, DXF Import, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 2D, Advanced 3D
    Follow me on Twitter, Greg Brown@GTGTGwoodworking

I would think that the black sections of the carrier are not exactly under the board sensor. The board sensor is only 1.5" behind the bit and right under the y carriage. Maybe you have to move the carrier a little forward.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast