Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Ok when you are carving a cribbage board I use 3 bits first load is the 90 degree I crank the head down all.the way next is the1/8 cutting bit it dose it's thing and that's when I hit stop jog 3 hit the arrow and hold it board jogs to.the black line on the key board and stops there when I do it again I will.watch close see what happens after that!!And before I load the 60 degree bit

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The main problem with the pop up rails is friction. They have to drop while under head pressure. I could not get the inclined plane idea to work because of friction.
    Haven't studied the design of the carrier sled in full, but am wondering if a double hinge action clamp might do the trick... (See attached rough sketch.) This would avoid the friction issue. The concept of course would be to have the lower hinged board extend out the front of the carrier for easy access to twist, to either tighten or loosen the clamp board against the board in the carrier. The hinge on the clamping boards would need to go just past 180 degrees in order to "snap" into place under pressure. And cutting notches on the top clamping board would allow the clamping board to avoid other carrier mechanisms / obstructions... Just a random half baked thought...

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Hinge Clamp.jpg  

That is a good idea. How about roller chain links used like your hinges?

Dan here is where I am today with my. Carrier and it crazy tried different things jog to touch point line jig the x kept telling me to o
    Load 1/8 which was already in the Chuck did that a few times stop machine start over dud it's thing jog to line then it ask fir x had no idea put in 15 then it asked for x again no idea put in 25 the machine started its carve and low and behold carving at the correct depth now figure that one out I hope and can do.it the same way again also I use a lot of 5\4 boards for cribbage should I do anything different to.the carrier the test I have done have been with 4/4 board

Correction my last post the machine asked for Y after the X and then I.put in 25. Sorry about that it is working crazy to.say the least!!!

You can use the arrows to jog or you can use numbers to jog. If you press a wrong button, (not an arrow) it kicks into number mode. You can press stop and get back to arrow mode.

How about roller chain links used like your hinges?

After a bit more thought, I'd re-arrange the hinges as in the first attachment, and then to tighten, simply twist until the two clamp boards are at 180deg, standing flat on top of each other. The bottom clamp board would also seem best to be on the sled runner that's contacting the belts, in order to not stress the sled sides, and to have the clamp boards truly be between the direct line of force between the CW belts and rollers...

Am trying to picture the use of roller chain links. Because the chain would create a loose joint between the two boards, seems like it might only work if the top clamp board is resting against the sled side. (See second attachment.) A twist of the lower clamp board should force the top clamp board up, pressing against the carving board, and the roller chain link should then snap against the side. Not sure if I've captured the roller chain concept properly, but in this rendition of the clamp, I think the engineering has to be more exact. Plus, I believe the roller chains can only be attached on the ends of the boards, whereas in the hinge model, they can run the length, to help support the joint between the clamp boards for long sleds...

Again, not sure if I captured the use of the roller chains as hinges properly in order to create a clamping force...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hinge Clamp2.jpg   Roller Chain Link.jpg  

That looks good but it has to move up and down in the carrier for different thicknesses of boards.

The roller chain thing I was thinking of was the same principle but quite different I guess. I was thinking two chain links could do the job of the two hinges. Push sideways on the middle joint to lift the top rail. Maybe I have to draw some pictures!

...it has to move up and down in the carrier for different thicknesses of boards.
    I guess I thought you were looking for a way to drop the board just enough to slide it out while the rollers are still on the sled frame. So, if the board is 1/8" proud of the sled frame, then all that's required is to drop the board ~1/4" then, correct? So if that's correct, can the vertical clamp then be an extension of sorts to the fixed (tightened) board carrier? Ie, the vertical clamp simply has a travel of 1/4". (My apologies if I'm misinterpreting the operation of the sled carrier...)

Quote Originally Posted by JLT View Post
    I guess I thought you were looking for a way to drop the board just enough to slide it out while the rollers are still on the sled frame. So, if the board is 1/8" proud of the sled frame, then all that's required is to drop the board ~1/4" then, correct? So if that's correct, can the vertical clamp then be an extension of sorts to the fixed (tightened) board carrier? Ie, the vertical clamp simply has a travel of 1/4". (My apologies if I'm misinterpreting the operation of the sled carrier...)
    Actually, it is sort of reversed. I only need to hold the board up for the measuring process and then I let it drop. The dropped position is just a little below the carrier sides so the board can slide in and out without lifting the head. Even though the required behavior is simple, there are many constraints on the design. It has to handle full head force in either position so it does not get broken by mistake. It has to be thin in the z direction so it does not limit the thickness of boards which can be held in the carrier. It has to move up and down for the different thickness of boards. It has to be easily made and/or be made by the machine.

It is a good problem. I think one has to build prototypes and test them to really get into it. I have a large scrap pile of ideas I thought would work!

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast