Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Join the club I have that problem when doing 5/4 boards for cribbage boards with the carrier the bit CARVES to.DEEP and I follow the carrier directions to the letter carve the same board on the belts so rt is fine !!

Is it possible that you are jogging the bit to touch on the carrier sides instead of the board surface?

Thanks Dan will.give it another try when it states load the 1/8 bit I do that dose it's thing I hit stop and jog3 it states to jog it to the front touch point carrier directions I do.that and I think then it dose it's own thing I did not think I had to.jog the bit to touch the board I have given it a rest for a few days pretty well.caught up.on other projects in the shop.will.give it as other go thanks for your help.

I wonder if you might be measuring the carrier width instead of the board width. If true, it would then touch on the carrier side instead of the board edge. Watch and make sure that the black markings on the carrier sides are fooling the board sensor into only measuring the board. You can tell by where the truck stops as it measures.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I wonder if you might be measuring the carrier width instead of the board width. If true, it would then touch on the carrier side instead of the board edge. Watch and make sure that the black markings on the carrier sides are fooling the board sensor into only measuring the board. You can tell by where the truck stops as it measures.
    It seems to me that when measuring the board, the controller side of the sled is always going to be considered as part of the board width. Therefore, to my way of thinking, it is better to read the far edge of the sled and center the whole thing. Yes, it does always ask me if the sliding plate is in place and I always have to input the depth of the board. Other than that, I see no downside. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by rickroy View Post
    It seems to me that when measuring the board, the controller side of the sled is always going to be considered as part of the board width. Therefore, to my way of thinking, it is better to read the far edge of the sled and center the whole thing. Yes, it does always ask me if the sliding plate is in place and I always have to input the depth of the board. Other than that, I see no downside. Am I missing something?
    The keypad side of the carrier is not measured if it is colored black. With both sides of the carrier black, only the board width is measured.

If you do not have the sides colored black, the machine will try and measure the carrier width. Accuracy and low board sensor readings may be a problem since the board sensor is focused to measure a little higher. In my experiments with this, I put aluminum tape on the sides. (You could also paint the sides white.)

see: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...517#post244517

A down side is that the machine will bob three times on the sliding plate side before asking about the sliding plate and the board thickness. The up side is that you do not need the hole in the carrier side and you do not need the touch blocks. You do, however, still need to jog to get the touch on the board.

I thought very hard about making the operation this way and I would have except, on some machines, the bob at the keypad side gives a "Board Too Thick" error if there is no touch block. I tried to get an explanation from LHR as to why this error occurs, but, I did not get it. So, I went with the complete "trick the machine into thinking the board was on the belts" routine. I could not have the carrier work for some people and not others.

I had planned on explaining this other method but then I though some people might get confused. Now that you have mentioned it, here we go!

Thanks! I can put up with the 3 bobs and the little extra time.
    Now, how about some of that stair tread tape on the bottom side of the sled on the brass roller side? Has anyone tried it and if so, what were the results?

Here's where I am with what is going on with my carrier one time it cuts the depth say with a 60 degree bit fine the next time it CARVES to.deep Dan clear me up.on something that may be I.am.missing on after the 1/8 bit loads and dose it's thing I stop it enter jog3 and hold the arrow so.it jogs to.the black line and stops now do I want to.jog to.x till.it stops or do.I just hit enter when it stops at the black.line on the side if the carrier lots of times it ask about the slide plate and board thickness but not always there's GLICH there some place just got to.figure it out!!

I do not think we need tape on the bottom of the carrier. I believe that poor tracking on regular boards is mostly caused by vibration. (Vibration can confuse the encoder disc.) I do not believe the brass roller ever actually slips. (If it did we would notice a big difference whether the O ring was on or off.) Using masking tape on the board edge helps, I think, because it helps damp the vibrations.

With the carrier, the board and cutting vibration are far from the brass roller. I have not yet had any tracking problems while using the carriers. (I have had plenty of tracking problems down on the belts.)

Quote Originally Posted by hrlevill View Post
    Here's where I am with what is going on with my carrier one time it cuts the depth say with a 60 degree bit fine the next time it CARVES to.deep Dan clear me up.on something that may be I.am.missing on after the 1/8 bit loads and dose it's thing I stop it enter jog3 and hold the arrow so.it jogs to.the black line and stops now do I want to.jog to.x till.it stops or do.I just hit enter when it stops at the black.line on the side if the carrier lots of times it ask about the slide plate and board thickness but not always there's GLICH there some place just got to.figure it out!!
    After the board is measured and it asks for the bit, crank the head down (both rollers should be on the board). When it starts to "Find the Board Surface", press STOP and the 3)Jog. After that, all you have to do is jog x to put the bit at a black line on the keypad side. Press Enter and the bit should just make it onto the board for the two touches. (If the carving-cutting is to be more than 1/2" deep, it will it will go to the other side and bob into the hole and then touch the block.)

As long as the head is cranked down when the bit touches twice on the board, the carving depth should be right.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast