Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

I was hoping to discover why the blackened areas were needed. This explains why they are needed. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You can just measure the board. You have to measure the width where the sides are black and the board has to stick up 1/8" above the sides. Are you following the procedure in the instructions?
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

2. Default

I just purchased the UCB and when I ran it through the machine I found there were no tabs and the small parts flew around the machine. Also the of the holes for these small parts weren't located correctly. What is the problem?

Please upload your mpc if it doesn't have any copyright unprotected patterns on it. It sounds like you did not use the Cut Path Tool for your cutouts. If you attempted a manual depth cut on your own instead, that would be one reason why tabs were missing. There could be other setting or layout issues that caused your problems as well. Without seeing your actual mpc file, it's likely to be a lot of guessing and back-and-forth messaging to nail down what the actual cause(s) were.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
    I just purchased the UCB and when I ran it through the machine I found there were no tabs and the small parts flew around the machine. Also the of the holes for these small parts weren't located correctly. What is the problem?
    Are you talking about the UCB project itself or a project you used the UCB to hold?

If it is the UCB project itself, the tabs cutting out would have to do with board thickness problems. Make sure the board thickness in Designer matches the thickness of board you use. It could also be that your machine needs a thickness calibration.

Holes not being drilled in the right place could be a tracking issue.

A picture of the problem might help.

It didn't occur to me it might be the actual UCB project the OP was referring to! Re-reading the post, I'm thinking it is. Well, if so, we know there is nothing wrong with the mpc's themselves (as long as they were not altered in any way!).

Board thickness issue could indeed indeed account for missing tabs. Slipping bit could cause the tabs to be cut away, as well. Also, if Scaling was allowed when the project was run, that would cause drill holes to be made in the wrong locations.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Hope this hasn't been asked before... but I read through the last five or six pages of this thread and didn't see an answer.
    I finally finished my 24" UBC this evening, and was kinda wondering a few things...
    The touch holes:
    What are these for exactly? Does the bit actually touch down through them? What does it "touch"? The 1/4" bolt?
    The touch blocks:
    The instructions say to put the lower one on the keypad side, and the higher one on the sliding plate side.
    Which is the lower one? The one with the dowel pin that is lower? Or the one that slides down lower because the pin is higher?
    The "front" end of the carrier:
    The longer end is the front end, I get that. But which way does it go into the machine? I'm assuming that the touch holes and wingnuts are on the right as you face the machine, and the "front" of the UCB is at the front of the machine. Is this correct?

If there's a way to misunderstand this, I'm gonna find it....
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Hope this hasn't been asked before... but I read through the last five or six pages of this thread and didn't see an answer.
    I finally finished my 24" UBC this evening, and was kinda wondering a few things...
    The touch holes:
    What are these for exactly? Does the bit actually touch down through them? What does it "touch"? The 1/4" bolt?
    The touch blocks:
    The instructions say to put the lower one on the keypad side, and the higher one on the sliding plate side.
    Which is the lower one? The one with the dowel pin that is lower? Or the one that slides down lower because the pin is higher?
    The "front" end of the carrier:
    The longer end is the front end, I get that. But which way does it go into the machine? I'm assuming that the touch holes and wingnuts are on the right as you face the machine, and the "front" of the UCB is at the front of the machine. Is this correct?

If there's a way to misunderstand this, I'm gonna find it....
    The touch hole is for the bit to drop into. This is to fool the machine into thinking the bit is bobbing beside the board. The bit will not actually touch anything in the hole. After the bob into the hole, the bit will shift to the right and touch the touch block. The touch block acts as the touch on the sliding plate.

The higher and lower refers to the height of the top of the block. (The touch at the brass roller is lower than the touch at the sliding plate.)

You have the front of the carrier figured right.

8. Default

This is fantastic. So, for the time limited fools who would pay for a completed Carrier Base, what is your price good sir?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The touch hole is for the bit to drop into. This is to fool the machine into thinking the bit is bobbing beside the board. The bit will not actually touch anything in the hole. After the bob into the hole, the bit will shift to the right and touch the touch block. The touch block acts as the touch on the sliding plate.
    Oh. Ok. That makes a lot more sense now. The bit finds the right/left edges of the board, and the optical sensors finds the start/end of the board, right?

The higher and lower refers to the height of the top of the block. (The touch at the brass roller is lower than the touch at the sliding plate.)
    Aren't the holes in the blocks at the same place, while the pins are in different places? Or maybe I've put my pins in the wrong holes.... Do the pins go in the bottom hole (block is taper down)?

You have the front of the carrier figured right.
    At least I had ONE thing figured out...
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

The optical sensor finds the edges of the board as well as the ends of the board. (That is why the carrier has the black sections.)

The tapered parts of the blocks go down. The pins are below the bolt holes. (One can go without using the blocks at all. The machine will just bob three times trying to touch the right block (sliding plate) and then ask for the board thickness.)

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast