Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Quote Originally Posted by jab73180 View Post
    So how does this work? Does it measure the length of the board or the entire jig? I thought I saw the ends of the jig tapered in on the end. I guess I don't understand that part. Doesn't the jig have to lose contact with the brass roller during the measuring process? Is this witchcraft? Also, does the board go into the carrier in the center or on an end?
    Only the board is measured, not the jig. (You can choose to measure the jig width if you want but not the length.)

The jig says under the rollers and on the brass roller at all times.

The board can go anywhere on the sandpaper rails.

The witchcraft to this is having the top surface of the board 1/8" above the sides of the jig. This allows the machine detect the ends of the board. With the head clamped down lightly, the roller switches switch off when the rollers roll from the board down to the sides of the jig. The optic sensor then finds the end(s) of the board. (There is no end of the jig.) After the board has been measured, the head gets properly clamped down. Now as the carving or cutting proceeds, the rollers may roll off and on the ends of the board but the roller switches do not switch now that the head is down. That means that the brass roller never goes offline and is always tracking. (Normally when a roller switches off, the brass roller goes offline.)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Only the board is measured, not the jig. (You can choose to measure the jig width if you want but not the length.)

The jig says under the rollers and on the brass roller at all times.

The board can go anywhere on the sandpaper rails.

The witchcraft to this is having the top surface of the board 1/8" above the sides of the jig. This allows the machine detect the ends of the board. With the head clamped down lightly, the roller switches switch off when the rollers roll from the board down to the sides of the jig. The optic sensor then finds the end(s) of the board. (There is no end of the jig.) After the board has been measured, the head gets properly clamped down. Now as the carving or cutting proceeds, the rollers may roll off and on the ends of the board but the roller switches do not switch now that the head is down. That means that the brass roller never goes offline and is always tracking. (Normally when a roller switches off, the brass roller goes offline.)
    OK, I see now. Just have to trick the machine a Lil. I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the detailed explanation and sorry if it was already discussed.
    -Jason

You mention on several occasions that The board can go anywhere on the sandpaper rails. Are your referring that this only works on the old sandpaper belt or am I missing something will it also work with the rubber belts. Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    You mention on several occasions that The board can go anywhere on the sandpaper rails. Are your referring that this only works on the old sandpaper belt or am I missing something will it also work with the rubber belts. Thanks John
    The rails are a part of the Carrier Base not the CW machine. The rails have sandpaper grip tape on them. The board sits on these sandpaper rails in the Carrier. What I was saying was that the board can be put anywhere on top of these rails. The board does not need to be put at on end or the other.

The UCB works in CW machines with sandpaper belts or rubber belts. That makes no difference.

One last question before i purchase this project. I noticed taht the project comes with a pattern, is that the pattern to cut out the rails and all the necessary holes or do I have to use a drill press and table saw to achieve this feat. Thanks for your response, and I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered if I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    One last question before i purchase this project. I noticed taht the project comes with a pattern, is that the pattern to cut out the rails and all the necessary holes or do I have to use a drill press and table saw to achieve this feat. Thanks for your response, and I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered if I missed it.
    The project comes with two project files (mpc's not patterns) for two different size carriers. Each project file has all the wooden parts for each carrier. All the parts, except the base rails, get cut out with the 1/8" cutting bit. The base rails are simple strips which are cut out of the left over sides of the board. One does need a table saw or band saw to cut these strips from the left overs. If one does not have a saw to do this, one could easily make a project for the CW to cut out strips or one could just use 1" X 2" lumber. One also has to drill two holes vertically down into the sides of the carrier. A drill press is nice but, with some care, a hand drill can work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LCB 24.png  
    Last edited by bergerud; 05-24-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added picture of UCB 24

I suggest that you download the project as a trial. In the .zip file is a .pdf file that contains very good explanations of everything.
    Steve

Dan,

Yesterday taught me I need a jig if I want to route precision pattern so I got your wonderful carrier. I can't wait to start using it. I am already getting ideas for future projects. Up to now I have only been using the CW as a carver since I already have most other tools in my tool set but routing inlays and intricate cut flat patterns just opened up. Weather will keep me from any woodworking for at least a week but hopefully I can get the jig up and going next weekend and finish the clock.

Long winded entry to say thank you for the project and the effort in designing it.

Regards,
    Oscar

I loaded the card for the 24in universal carrier and got the machine set up...it took the measurements and I put in the 1/8 cutting bit (a relatively new one) and then it went thru the slide tap and then asked me to put in the board depth. It had ">>0" on the screen. I tried putting in 1/2 and it wouldn't take it...tried putting in .5 and it wouldn't take it...so finally I just said continue. It did all the hole cuts and then started on the first cutout and I noticed that it was cutting the outline very lightly...less than a 1/16 and then the bit broke. I turned the machine off...ordered a new bit and haven't moved the board. When I get the new bit how do I get it to start carving the first outline and not go thru all the hole cuts or start a new board? Can I just take the bit out after it takes it's measurements and "air cut" the holes...then stop and put the bit in when it gets to the first cut out? Thanks.

What size is the board? You better not start this again until we figure out what went wrong. How could the bit break if it was doing such a shallow cut?

How are the out feed rollers adjusted?

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast