Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Hey, what are the touch holes/blocks for? I've been searching for a 5/16" forstner bit too, and can't seem to find one locally. I may have to clamp thin stock to the top and use a regular twist drill....
    The touch blocks are just to fool the firmware into thinking the board is down on the belts and that it is measuring the board thickness. The touch blocks mimic the touch points at the brass roller and at the sliding plate. The drilled hole mimics the hole in the sliding plate.

The Forstner bit just gives a clean hole. A brad point bit would as well. Drill the holes any way you can. A regular bit as you say though some scrap should work.

Thanks! I haven't been able to finish this thing up. Had too many other projects I'm working on. Specifically a lift desk to help with my sitting too much problem.
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Pretty much a newbie on Cartwright and using jigs of any kind.

I just got this project put together, not as daunting as the instructions seemed. I did use a thick washer to push in the t nuts with a vice as it was easier than trying to use a socket that kept falling out. I also would have liked a better explanation about what the touch blocks do as I first put them in upside down.

I have had a couple of problems getting it to carve, it doesn't seem like the CW can find the touch block - I tried to jog it as the directions said, but apparently I don't know exactly where and how to jog to, I thought I lined up on the mark but didn't know how far over to jog to left/right to the board, carrier or the mark.... also I got several errors regarding the sliding plate don't know if that was a result of my jogging or not....

A step by step explanation of how and where to jog to would be helpful for one as apparently uninformed as I am, a guide for the really dumb dummies....

Any thoughts?

mjc

First, the two touch blocks are different. The lower one goes on the keypad side and the higher one on the sliding plate side. Hopefully, having them switched is the reason for the sliding plate messages.

You do not have to jog across the board (unless you want to touch some special spot on the board.) You only have to jog in the x direction to line up the touch blocks and hole. Just x jog to the line on the left side across from the hole on the right side.

(I have been holding off on discussing the touch blocks. I hoped to keep it simple.)

Thanks that info is very helpful, both blocks appear to the the same height tho, can I just shim it or should I try to cut another, in my mpc both are the same size.

I also plan to elongate the touch hole a bit as suggested by another in this forum.

At times I need a little more direction and your help is appreciated, I understand a reluctance to keep the touch blocks out of the discussion, and I do like to keep it simple whenever possible.

The bolt holes in the touch blocks are in different positions. One block mounts lower than the other.

Should have thought of that myself, thanks again.

I have been in touch with Dan many times and he can not under stand it either and here is what is happening if i try to.carve a cribbage board that is 5/4 wood with .the carrier and follow all the directions the machine CARVES way to.deep. tried it with it with out the touch blocks works fine on the belt any one have any ideas !!!really got me stumped

Joe,

What is the TOTAL height of the material plus the jig when put into the machine?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Don.t know will have to.check it
    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Joe,

What is the TOTAL height of the material plus the jig when put into the machine?

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast