Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

1. Default

I'm scrolling around but don't see if you ever got an answer to this post. IS there a video....I'm a visual learner for sure!

2. Default

Newbie here....I see this post is from 2015....it freaking rocks! I haven't scrolled through the 300+ posts but do you sell these completed? LOL?

As far as I know no one has taken on the task of building these for profit. There as been interest here in purchasing by a few folks, but no one as jumped up yet to start producing them. I have not yet built one due to time restraints, which I'm sure is the issue with most people, so I not sure of the build as far as time and material costs. Then you all so have shipping costs, being made out of mdf may have weight issues there.

I have a newbie question. When cutting the UCB project, is there any risk in cutting 1/2” MDF without using a carrier (or waste) Board? My understanding is that Carvewright will sense the material thickness and not damage the belt but would like to understand any risks before hit the start button and find myself in the midst of unintended consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by r-carp View Post
    I have a newbie question. When cutting the UCB project, is there any risk in cutting 1/2” MDF without using a carrier (or waste) Board? My understanding is that Carvewright will sense the material thickness and not damage the belt but would like to understand any risks before hit the start button and find myself in the midst of unintended consequences.
    It is not possible for the bit to damage the rubber belts. The Y/Z truck only moves laterally over the open space between the belts. Just make sure the project stays under the rollers (7 inch rule).
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-17-2018 at 05:53 PM.
    Steve

Thanks Steve. I will charge ahead.

Dan, thank you for the UCB. I've had mine for years but hadn't really used it. Today I had a board with a twist that I just could not get to work. Threw it into the UCB and worked great. Definitely will start using it from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Dan, thank you for the UCB. I've had mine for years but hadn't really used it. Today I had a board with a twist that I just could not get to work. Threw it into the UCB and worked great. Definitely will start using it from now on.
    Glad to see you are using it! For me, it is standard procedure. I very rarely carve down on the belts.

9. Default

I made the 36" ucb and did not see any instructions on where to place the board within the UCB. Do I line up the end of the board with the black mark on the top edge of the UCB?

Where you put the board in the UCB is mostly up to you. If you have a spot where you would like the bit to touch you can put that spot adjacent to one of the touch holes in the side. Otherwise, I just put the board in the middle of the carrier.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast