Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

I had a couple of problems like that too. I discovered that the board height above the carrier sides needs to be EXACTLY 1/8". However, this may be due to my specific machine tolerances. Also, I found that when lowering the head for the first time (at the load project prompt) when the display changes to"Press Enter To Continue" give the handle a little extra nudge.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-29-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    Steve

Steve, he is just trying to cut out the Carrier. He has not made it yet.

When the LCD displayed >>0 , you should have been able to key in 1/2 or .5. If you pressed enter with >>0, the thickness would now be 0 and then you pressed continue?? I will have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Steve, he is just trying to cut out the Carrier. He has not made it yet.

When the LCD displayed >>0 , you should have been able to key in 1/2 or .5. If you pressed enter with >>0, the thickness would now be 0 and then you pressed continue?? I will have to try that.
    Oops! I don't recall the machine asking for a board thickness.
    Steve

I tried just pressing enter at the >>0 and it would not proceed without some input. It must have, therefore, taken some number from you before continuing.

Please go through the start up again. Just use a 1/16" carving bit. Take notes of all the LCD prompts.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I don't recall the machine asking for a board thickness.
    Whenever the board is 14" plus in width, it does not do the sliding plate thickness check. The machine has no idea how thick the board is and so asks.

What I have just discovered from experimenting is that you can key in a larger thickness than the project and it will go ahead and cut. (Even if the number is too big for cut through!) If you key in a smaller than project thickness, you will get a "Board Maybe Too Thin" 1)Abort 2) Continue.
    Last edited by bergerud; 05-29-2015 at 12:20 PM.

I have a lot of 3/4 MDF. Can I use this for the sled? If so would I need to change any of the pieces or hardware to make it work correctly? Thank you for your input.

I have not made one with 3/4" MDF. You would, of course, need longer bolts. You would not be able to hold as wide a board: something like 13.5" instead of 14". The normal board touch would miss the board and touch the side on the first touch and so you would always have to jog the y as well as the x. The bob for the sliding plate may scrape the bit down the side of the jig.

I think these are all problems which can be overcome. Give it a try. I love a good experiment!

I was wondering what is the minimum version of the CarveWright software required for both making and using the jig.

Thank you.

...Peter

The files were created in Designer 1.187. So, basic Designer 1.187 the minimum of what is needed to make the Carrier. Any version could use the Carrier.

I set up the outfeed rollers so the MDF just barely rolls over them....the half inch MDF is 14 inches wide and 40 inches long. I just got my new 1/8 cutting bit from LHR (took 10 days to arrive?) and ready to crank it up again. I will see if I get the thickness message again...hopefully not. Should I go thru all the set up and check the bit depth and then take the bit out and let it air carve the holes and then put the bit back in when it gets to the first outline cut? Thanks.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast