Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Yes, Dan that did answer it thank you...

I have gotten a pm about the UCB, I have not done this project yet. I have a lot on my bucket list on things to do... The question that I was asked, was on doing the 24" UCB where do the touch blocks go? I thought this was a question Dan needs to answer, I would hate it if I gotten it wrong.... lol

The touch blocks go either in the first or second set of slots with the first or second touch hole. They can be moved back and forth depending on where you want to touch on the board. The lower block goes on the keypad side and the higher one on the sliding plate side.

4. Default

Ok bought the UCB design quite a while ago but hadn't built it, when i went to make it I was reading the Material List and it calls for MDF, I live in Hawaii and figured it would be better to make it out of red oak due to moisture issues. I also happen to have a bunch of Poplar around and was wondering if that would work just as well? Also, was wondering if the UCB can be used with the 2" deep carving from the deep bits? I like to build wa'a (canoes) and need to put in a 3.5" deep blank that is carved from both sides and need the UCB to handle jobs like that, if it isn't setup for it, couldn't I simply make the rails taller to accommodate the additional inch or so? What are your thoughts? One more question, what are all the holes along the top of the pattern for??? mahalo!

5. Default

I made a long detailed post that hasn't shown up in days, thought i would try again. Can this carrier handle thicker blanks, for example a 3.5" deep blank? Seems if the board can only be 1/8" above the UCB then I would be limited to just above an inch or so in depth? In a previous post you mentioned the limit of 1" for carving so you didn't see this as an issue, however, most of my carving is 2 sided 2" deep carves thus using much deeper blanks than perhaps most use. I was thinking about this before i bought some red oak to build it from and thought "well perhaps I could make the side rails 4.5" high to accommodate my deeper blanks, figure i would also make the slot cuts deeper to accommodate the taller frame. thoughts?

Greetings all. Today, I am throwing out all of the custom made sleds that have accumulated since getting my first CarveWright in 2012. They aren't needed. The Universal Carrier takes care of all of my needs. About a year ago, I built both the 24" & 36" and even built one for a friend. I can't speak to the questions about carving depth asked recently as all of my projects have a maximum depth of 1/2" but I can tell you that they are a dream to use. Like most of you, I have customized mine a wee bit for my own operation. I don't not use the touch blocks preferring to enter the depth of the project myself on the keypad. Also, even with the clamping system, there is some wiggle room so I use the holes on the side to screw my piece in place ... and then I tape it to insure that when reading the width, the CW includes the UC. Since I have my project centered on the board, including the UC in the width measurement matters not. I would encourage all wood carvers using a CW to purchase the pattern and build the UC. And then get rid of all of your space-absorbing sleds that are dedicated to a single project ... you just don't need them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rickroy View Post
    Greetings all. Today, I am throwing out all of the custom made sleds that have accumulated since getting my first CarveWright in 2012. They aren't needed. The Universal Carrier takes care of all of my needs. About a year ago, I built both the 24" & 36" and even built one for a friend. I can't speak to the questions about carving depth asked recently as all of my projects have a maximum depth of 1/2" but I can tell you that they are a dream to use. Like most of you, I have customized mine a wee bit for my own operation. I don't not use the touch blocks preferring to enter the depth of the project myself on the keypad. Also, even with the clamping system, there is some wiggle room so I use the holes on the side to screw my piece in place ... and then I tape it to insure that when reading the width, the CW includes the UC. Since I have my project centered on the board, including the UC in the width measurement matters not. I would encourage all wood carvers using a CW to purchase the pattern and build the UC. And then get rid of all of your space-absorbing sleds that are dedicated to a single project ... you just don't need them anymore.
    I agree 100%. The UC has also saved me a great deal of aggravation.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    I agree 100%. The UC has also saved me a great deal of aggravation.

Mike
    I 2nd that. I just love the UC.
    Heather

I have used the UCB since it first came out. Love it.
    I now am going to ask a question that I think I know the answer but would like opinions.
    Can I do a double side carve or modify the original sled to do it, or make the revised version?
    Never Glued the front blocks in place so I have cut them the same as the back.

Thanks
    Don

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast