Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

I lined up the sensor on the black squares and it still tries to measure the carrier. I switch machines (I have two) and the other did it also. Any more suggestions??
    Greg Brown

Basic, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, Keyhole, Version 2 Upgrade, Version 3 Upgrade, DXF Import, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 2D, Advanced 3D
    Follow me on Twitter, Greg Brown@GTGTGwoodworking

Maybe the black is not black enough. (It has to black to IR.) To experiment, try two pieces of black electrical tape.

Just to clarify it will measure the width but not the length. I will try the black tape.
    Greg Brown

Basic, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, Keyhole, Version 2 Upgrade, Version 3 Upgrade, DXF Import, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 2D, Advanced 3D

Sorry, I thought you were taking about measuring the width of the board. Forget the tape. (The length of the carrier cannot be measured as it has no ends.)

If the machine is not finding the ends of the board, it probably has to do with the roller switches. Make sure the 1/8" high board is under both rollers when you do the initially lower the head. You should hear both roller switches switch at about the same time. The idea is that they are set "hair triggered" so they unswitch when the roller drops the 1/8" from the board to the carrier.

Can you paint the carrier black? I finally got it to work. At first I was not under both rollers. Another problem was at the last step it would not allow me to jog to the black square. It listed a set of coordinates to jog too and would not allow me to override.
    Greg Brown

Sure you can paint the carrier black. If the board is short, you have to place the board on the carrier so that a touch hole is near by. One cannot jog out of the area where the machine determines the pattern to be.

After cleaning out my shop during the holidays.......and discovering how many sleds I've built over the years ----- I'm ready to go with the Universal Carrier.

Have read the entire string of posts as well as digesting the instructions. Seems good to go - and Thanks for all your Efforts!

One question before I begin gathering materials: Can I use 3/4" material instead of the 1/2"? Caught Mr. Nelson's query on using 5/8" material, but thought I ask if 3/4 was a possibility.

1/2" MDF not readily available around here.

Thanks in advance, and again, Great Project!!

keninar
    Ya gotta have a dream - otherwise you're just sleeping!

I cannot remember any reason why you cannot use 3/4". I think others have.

Thanks! Appreciate all your work - and patience!!
    Ya gotta have a dream - otherwise you're just sleeping!

The only thing that I think could be a problem is the bit bob on the squaring plate side. You might have to cut a small slot for the bit to miss the carrier.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast