Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig newbie - Several Questions

Default Rotary Jig newbie - Several Questions

I've been out of the loop for quite some time, so hopefully y'all will be patient with me as I ask some noob questions.

A new rotary jig and 2" long x 1/8" carving bit was delivered to the doorstep today.

1. How do I register the license for the rotary jig?
    2. I have upgraded Designer to handle 2" depth, but I can't remember which replacement chuck and collet I bought for my older machine.
      • Will this 2" bit work with any of the chucks?
      • *EDIT* - I see now that I have the Rock Chuck. - Not sure what collet I bought though.

3. I saw this rotary jig advertised on Facebook, and in the ad, it was mentioned that all you had to do was scan an object with your phone, import it into the program and then carve.
      • Does LHR provide a phone app for this?
      • If not, what app would you recommend?
      • Is it really that easy? (I can't imagine that it is.)

4. Failing being able to scan one or two into the program, does anyone have a 3D file of a comfort bird?
      • I want to carve 4 at a time and save myself a little hand carving time.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Ok. Question #1 and #3 are answered.

1. Apparently, there were some wires crossed and they didn't update the licenses. That's been taken care of now.
    2. still unanswered.I have upgraded Designer to handle 2" depth, but I can't remember which replacement chuck and collet I bought for my older machine.
      • Will this 2" bit work with any of the chucks?
      • *EDIT* - I see now that I have the Rock Chuck. - Not sure what collet I bought though.

3. Also I got an answer to this question: Apple created EM3D app to utilize Face Id technology, and one can use that to scan in 3D faces. I'm wondering if it will also scan other 3d Models?
    4. Anyone have a full 3d sparrow model?
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    Rotary Jig

I don't have the rotary jig so can't help with that but the newer iPhone have LIDAR and you can scan 3d objects with it. I have an older iPhone so haven't used it yet so don't what kind of resolution you get.

You can also try photogrammetry. There are free programs to try it with.

Thanks Oscar.
    Unfortunately I only have a second generation SE, so...
    Photogrammetry?
    Hmmm.. I'll have to look that up.
    Failing that, I can always cut one of my comfort birds in half and use the scanning probe on each half.
    Hmmmmm... Can you use the scanning probe on a rotary model?
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    Rotary Jig

Might not be perfect but here is a pattern for a two piece carve. Some gluing and sanding would be required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comfort bird small.png  

I've never carved a comfort bird so want to try making a couple. Modeled a quick version of a tufted titmouse. One of the local birds that are a favorite of my wife's and mine.

I've not carved this model so don't know if there are any issues with it.

P.S. Don't carve. I did a test carve and the tuft was too shallow. Playing with the model now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tufted titmouse.png   tufted titmouse.png  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 12-05-2023 at 04:18 PM.

Default Updated tufted titmouse

cleaned up the model a bit more. Much happier with the carving. Carved in hard maple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2023-12-05 20_23_38-Window.png   IMG_9664 small.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

We don't have many if any of this type of bird flying around here. However it looks great, good job Oscar

Don't have them here either but it looks a lot like a cardinal except for the double 'tuft'. Thinking about trying a double sided carve and making a tree ornament.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comfort Birds.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	89170

Here are four birds I've hand-carved recently (and sanded and finished!)
    Note that I couldn't hold the birds exactly on their side AND take the picture at the same time , so their positioning is only approximate. The black rectangles represent a dowel and 2 end pieces.
    I usually make these from 2" x 2" x 5" blanks, and they turn out to be anywhere from 4.25-4.75 long x 1.5-1.75 tall x 1.5-1.75 wide.

What I'd like to do is carve these on the rotary jig four at a time as laid out above so as to maximize wood usage - Beak to tail axially, and back to back radially - as shown in the picture. Make sense?
    I've got a lathe in my shop, so creating 3-4" diameter blanks isn't a problem at all.

QUESTIONS:

Scanning:

1. Do you think these could be fastened to a dowel* in this layout, and then mounted in the rotary axis and scanned as a complete model? (*as shown by the black rectangle lines)
    2. Alternately, if I cut one in half, or make one with a paper glue joint in the center, can a flat scan be done for each half, and the resulting half models merged/spliced together into one piece in the STL slicer?

Carving:

1. Do you think this model would work as a rotary carving?
    2. Or do you think this would be better as a two sided flat carve in 3" thick material?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comfort Birds.jpg  
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    Rotary Jig

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast