Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Carrier Base

Mike just checked it out the carrier is 3 1/2 in. High with a 5/4 board in it and the rails lowered down so the5/4 board sticks up 1/8 above the side as per instructions the total hight is 3 5/8 high

Side note: I always make designer layout to include the end blocks for my jigs and never as small as possible I just can not see any advantage making the design small. This is probably why I do not produce my guitars patterns as that seems to be to radical for users. This jig reflects longer is better not unlike my sleds I make. Nice work!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiquidV.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	532.9 KB 
ID:	79576
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2016 at 05:07 PM.

The index should be at the same height as the top caved surface.

Quote Originally Posted by hrlevill View Post
    Mike just checked it out the carrier is 3 1/2 in. High with a 5/4 board in it and the rails lowered down so the5/4 board sticks up 1/8 above the side as per instructions the total hight is 3 5/8 high
    How far too deep are the holes? By any chance are the holes 1/8" too deep than you specified in your design layout?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Mike the thing is not the holes as I could not check them as I stop.the machine as SOON as I saw it was carving why to.deep.in the letters and numbers on the board I do not pick the depth of cut on the letters as they are set by the bit used in the MPC which are 60. And 90 degree bits drill.holes would be 1/8 by 1/2 deep who I use on all boards

Please feel free to delete all my posts on this thread the intent was to tell people that I add the tail blocks in Designer. I exported violins all over the world now using the CW and my system. why we are talking about Aspire is not the point. However if MT is right about Aspire you could not do nesting at all.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.

I just read your instructions for making the universal board carrier in the projects section. I'm curious as to why you didn't include your notes on using the Carvewright to make the pocket? I downloaded your file for the hole in 5/8" material and altered it for the 1/2" material I built mine out of. I did a lot of guessing to get the thing cutting but in the end the Carvewright did cut my touch slot. Had I read your instructions on surfing through the menu screens prior to this probably would have prevented a few of the many restarts I did before I got it working.

I'm still not sure on the height blocks. I've got the longer one on the touch plate side but my machine always seems to just miss actually touching them at all. I may have to try your calibration trick to make spacers or custom blocks that match my touch plate better.

The only problem with my touch slot file is bit selection works a little strange. The file only uses the 1/8" cutting bit but for some strange reason the machine always asks to load the 1/16" carving bit first! A CArvewright bug?

Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files

I thought that getting the machine to cut the touch hole was going to cause more trouble for people than it was worth. After the whole process of building the UCB, it would be a shame to have the last operation wreck it. It seemed safer to just drill a hole with a hand drill. (Also, for the 1/2" side, the pocket leaves a very thin edge.)

Whether the machine touches the blocks or not depends on the thickness of the board in the carrier. The thicker the board, the farther down go the blocks. The bit should touch the blocks for up to a 1" thick board. (The blocks are actually designed a little low. I did not want anyone getting a board too thin message.)

The reason the machine asks for the 1/16" carving bit is because it uses that bit for the jog pointer. You could have just kept the 1/8" cutting bit in.

I took a chance on mine and let the machine do the pocket. I figured I could fill any mistakes easy enough. Most people that own a Carvewright probably own a drill of some kind anyway so I guess it's not really a big deal anyway.

Another thing. If the Carvewright detects the board because of a height difference why can't you put the board flush with the top of the carrier and put a cutout on the rail on the keyboard side an 1/8" down to create the step? If it would work it would let you get rid of the shims you designed for the four corners. I would think a small slot an 1/8" deep won't cause any roller issues since the board is not usually carved all the way to the edges anyway.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Another thing. If the Carvewright detects the board because of a height difference why can't you put the board flush with the top of the carrier and put a cutout on the rail on the keyboard side an 1/8" down to create the step? If it would work it would let you get rid of the shims you designed for the four corners. I would think a small slot an 1/8" deep won't cause any roller issues since the board is not usually carved all the way to the edges anyway.

Brad
    How would that work for boards of different lengths? You would have to have the whole left side (or much of it) lower by the 1/8". As for the shims, I never had to use them. With the out feed rollers adjusted with a little pre-stress, I never had a problem.

Also, when I use my carrier for double sided carves, I lower the board a little below the sides after it is measured.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast