Thread: V bit inlay technique

Default V bit inlay technique

I'm posting this in hopes that one of our brilliant minds in the forums may look at this from a different angle. I haven't attempted any inlays yet mainly because the results of the research I've conducted through the forums almost points to a hit or miss, if I'm wrong please tell me. I think this is mainly because there is no ability to do pocket cutting with our software similar to the table top cnc's like shopbot or products by inventables. Recently I stumbled across this video (i'm sure many of you have seen some of his other videos) by mtmwood where he did a v bit based inlay. It really blew me away and as simple as it seemed I couldn't wrap my head around producing it in the CW. I thought if we could figure this out not only would it allow us to do inlays but very precise ones at that. Take a look at the video attached and tell me your thoughts. I've played with the CW software by both using outline/centerline, inverting rasters, and outlining the actual text and assigning a bit and depth. I'm missing something if it is indeed possible. Hopefully this will be another move forward in terms of our abilities, if not well.. at least I tried!
    Paul

https://youtu.be/lf6LzuLhQv4
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

I've been contemplating an attempt at inlay using the carvewright. I don't see this v-inlay technique relaxing the accuracy/repeatability requirements any as the pieces still need to line up perfectly. In fact the parts may need to be cut more accurately to get the curves of the text to line up well. If I get around to trying inlay my first try will be using a normal pocket cut(manually drawn of course). I'd make sled to hold the inlay piece the same size as the main board so hopefully any drift between the two carves is the same. Also, I probably would not use the outline function for anything since the lines it creates are much too sloppy for anything requiring a precision cut. I'd create the vector lines externally and import them using dxf importer.

Another idea I saw posted by a user somewhere on this site was to use the CW to cut a precision template and then cut the inlay using a router and bushing setup. This would be my backup plan.

Check out The Drunken Woodworkers Youtube http://youtu.be/oUNMJtBarsY Also this one on V Bit inlay https://youtu.be/iUHxj5Cu2QA?list=PL...ZwHR3RLCT5jiPj

Quote Originally Posted by PSQRD View Post
    I'm posting this in hopes that one of our brilliant minds in the forums may look at this from a different angle. I haven't attempted any inlays yet mainly because the results of the research I've conducted through the forums almost points to a hit or miss, if I'm wrong please tell me. I think this is mainly because there is no ability to do pocket cutting with our software similar to the table top cnc's like shopbot or products by inventables. Recently I stumbled across this video (i'm sure many of you have seen some of his other videos) by mtmwood where he did a v bit based inlay. It really blew me away and as simple as it seemed I couldn't wrap my head around producing it in the CW. I thought if we could figure this out not only would it allow us to do inlays but very precise ones at that. Take a look at the video attached and tell me your thoughts. I've played with the CW software by both using outline/centerline, inverting rasters, and outlining the actual text and assigning a bit and depth. I'm missing something if it is indeed possible. Hopefully this will be another move forward in terms of our abilities, if not well.. at least I tried!
    Paul

https://youtu.be/lf6LzuLhQv4
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"