Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the more experienced... What medium and bit should I use for this Plaque?

Default Thanks for the advice...

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    I would recommend using a hardwood, the harder the better. Oak carves nicely with little chip out. I agree with Berg on the 1/32 bit.
    I would also save it to the flash on optimal.
    Here is one I did recently that was 18" x 24" carved with the 1/16 bit and some of the detail was lost on the logo.

Thanks for the recommendation Brent. I'll give it a shot and post a pick of the results when complete
    Warm regards,
    --=Garth

It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow-

Thanks rMock that is a great tip as well. Maybe i'll use poplar for the test carve and switch to mahogony for the final.

Warm regards,
    Garth
    Warm regards,
    --=Garth

It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.

Great idea on the masking board. I have not tried using one but have considered it. I am going to set the logo 3 or 4 times on a test board all with different cutting depths so I can see what looks the best.

Warm regards,
    Garth
    Warm regards,
    --=Garth

I like cheery and white oak and walnut to carve signs .
    the harder the wood with closed gran work best . Red Oak is one I try to stay away from but is one every one wants.
    Gary
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

I just did a couple of things with tight text. I found the 1/32 bit just on best worked well on pine and didn't take much longer the n the 1/16 would have. I was surprised how robust the pointy bit was. If you get some good quality pine or maybe poplar and carve at best, I think it will work well. Buff it with a 220 mop.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12