Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the more experienced... What medium and bit should I use for this Plaque?

Default For the more experienced... What medium and bit should I use for this Plaque?

Hi Everyone,

I have had my machine for several months now and have been pretty successful by reading the forums and through trial-and-error to get some great results and to learn to use my device properly. I'm grateful for all of the experienced users here that are helping out us newcomers. Thank you.

I am starting a new project that I want to carve for my upcoming completion of a graduate school degree. I'd like to carve this plaque (attached) and there is some significant detail in the logo. I am concerned that when the logo is carved there will be significant chip-out in the logo and the detail will be lost.

I do not need to carve this image deeply, just enough to make it recognizable, and i may even color in the letters with some color to make it standout. I am open to purchasing additional bits and/or accessories to do this the right way. I am also open to using and obtaining the best medium for this project. I am just unsure how to progress here. Should I look use Corian or some type of acrylic, or is there a way to seal a board with polyurethane or some other product) to ensure that the logo does not chip-out when making a shallow carve? If I can use wood by sealing it, this would be preferred, what is the best wood?

In any case, I would appreciate any guidance or opinions you can offer.

Kellogg Plaque.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Kellogg.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	75858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kellogg_logo_blk_1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	75859
    Warm regards,
    --=Garth

It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow-

Welcome to the forum. Have you seen what it looks like with bit optimization best and the 1/32" carving bit? If you could carve the whole thing except the logo with the 1/16" carving bit and then carve the logo with the 1/32" carving bit, it would not take so long.

What add on software do you have?

Hi Bergerud,

Thanks... I do not have any add on software but am willing to acquire some if necessary. What do you think will be best for this situation? I did look at it with bit optimization set at "best". It looks great and that is how I will carve it, I just didn't save the project again before posting. Do you think I can successfully carve this in wood with no chip-out? Do think finishing the board first will reduce the possibility of chip-out, or will i even need it? What kind of wood do you think would work best?

Thanks again for the help.
    Warm regards,
    --=Garth

It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.

I am not a sign expert like so many on this forum are. Hopefully one of those guys will chime in with their expertise.

OK... Thank you again.

Warm regards,
    Garth
    Warm regards,
    --=Garth

I would recommend using a hardwood, the harder the better. Oak carves nicely with little chip out. I agree with Berg on the 1/32 bit.
    I would also save it to the flash on optimal.
    Here is one I did recently that was 18" x 24" carved with the 1/16 bit and some of the detail was lost on the logo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 6.10.58 PM.png   IMG_1375.JPG  
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Garth,
    I agree with the others on bits and optimal or best settings I would run a test carve of just the graphic before running the whole plaque. Make adjustments from there (depth, height, and so on). Also you would be able to try painting or finishing on a trial basis. We use poplar for most of our plaques with an oil stain. The stain seals the grain making painting with acrylics go pretty smooth (no bleeding).

Bergerud, I still haven't upgraded to designer 3, to be honest waiting to see if another newer software comes out during the convention so I don't have to upgrade twice. But in regards to all this w the 1/16 and 1/32 bits, how would you do most w the 1/16 and fine details w the 1/32 - is it controllable aside from setting the whole board/project to that bit? Or are you reffering to doing 1/16 and leaving a zero carve region followed by a second project w the 1/32? Thanks, just helps me decide further when and if I need to upgrade to 3.0 yet. Hopefully didn't hijack the thread! In regards to the thread I agree w what's been already posted, I have noticed when you're not doing a full carve region and just a name out of the board that a piece of masking board on that area of the board helps reduce chipout, make sure to clean your bit afterwords though. Depending on depth preferences and how it looks many times I have carved at .125" or .2" depth to reduce carve time if the overall appearance doesn't appear too much different. hope this helps.
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

I am pretty sure that there will not be a new version of Designer released at the conference. (I am a beta tester and I would be testing!)

As for the 1/32" for only part of the sign, I was thinking of a two mpc project. Carve the whole sign with the 1/16" with the logo removed or covered and then carve just the logo. Two projects but leave the board clamped in so it is not remeasured.

Awesome thanks on both!
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast