Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning to buy soon but need some help

If your going to make a stamp I would just do a raster carve with a carve region around the stork to carve out the background to make the stork stand proud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rockart stork.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks for the detailed info,
    If each stamp were sized to fit on a 2inx2inx.25in depth area and it was laid out on a 12inx12inx1in board, what bit should be used and what cutting rate would you suggest. After the carving I would cut these out on a table saw to make the final pieces.I know bigger machines would be better for larger scale production, but starting small to see if it's a good idea.
    Any other thought are gladly welcomed.
    Wyndham

For this stork to be a good stamp at the size you are saying, you would need to use the 1/32" ball nose (carving bit) set at best bit optimization and uploaded with optimal carve quality to get good detail.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks, got some learning to do.
    Wyndham

you also need to add "draft" (brown upside down looking T to the right of "feather" on the toolbars) so there is some "meat" below the edge that will be the stamp surface. If it is just carved out it will be very thin and fragile. Stamps are made the same way for durability too. The top surface (as looked at) will be the smallest with everything tapering as it goes down to the base of the stamp.
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module

Don't forget, if you are making a stamp that it will be reversed when used. So text should be backwards.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Yes I can see where it's easy to make a mistake on both flipping the image and how delicate a small cut can be.
    This brings me to another question about cutting time.
    Is there a method where one board is tapped either with double sided tape or other method where the image is vector cut (cutline) through the first board(1/2 in thich or what ever is correct thickness) down to the tape layer where the "Rockart image" stays in-place as it is cut out, then after the cut out can be lifted from the backing board and mounted onto a different backing block. This would cut down the cut time. Or can the board be turned over ,centered and the base cut leaving tabs to hold the stamp in-place until cut out by hand
    If one uses a 1/32 bit it would seem there would have to be multiple passes to get the correct depth.
    I realize these are scattered thoughts but just brainstorming to get a handle on this.
    Thanks Wyndham

Hi Wyndham,

Maybe I'm not following your reasoning or question, but if I were making stamp blocks, I would just use one piece of 3/4" material, carve around your silhouette down to the required depth (I don't think you need to go very deep for a stamp...maybe between .125" to .25" is all...and maybe not even anywhere near THAT deep, depending if you'll be inking on a stamp pad or rolling ink on manually), then cut out the entire stamp block either using the CW Cut Path feature or if the stamps are plain squares or rectangles, cut them free using my table saw. Am I missing something? If so, holler!

Here's a link to a Blog Joe L. wrote about how he created stamps for stamping T-shirts and cards:
    http://www.carvewright.com/carving-t...ristmas-cards/

(some of the image links are broken...CW is changing internet services and still in the process of getting the new website design worked out, etc.)
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-16-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I work in clay and the stamps I use need to be about twice as deep as an inking stamp. I sometimes get caught up in details that turn out to be irrelevant. This usually occurs when I'm working out the details on a new venture.
    That being said, i go back to a previous thread where a 1/32 ball nose bit was recommended. Am I wrong in thinking that it would take 4 passes to get to 1/4 deep and 32x4(passes) per 1in x 1 in sq times 4 sq in(2inx2in). I maybe missing a great deal since I have never tried cnc. I'm just in the dark and your solution may be the better way, I sometimes get caught up in numbers that in the end don't really matter.
    Thanks for the info & patience
    Wyndham

If you post a picture of an example stamp, it would go a long way. We may even be able to make one for you to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast