Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning to buy soon but need some help

In this group of talent and volunteers, we can probably find someone that could carve one of those for you in about 30 minutes (or less) and deliver it to your doorstep. Of course not knowing where you are it might take a little longer. You would find out exactly what is needed to create this project and not have the newbie experience factor (do it over 6 times to figure it out). A quick mpc, carve, and a finished picture may be enough to convince wynpotter that a CW is his answer.
    Jerry
    Having fun with my CW now!
    C Machine spring of 2013, CarveTight, Rotary, designer 3.102, probe/PE,
    vector 2d, 3d advanced, conforming vectors, STL. Photo Explosion 4.
    HF 2hp dust collector. Headquartered in West-Central IL.

Quote Originally Posted by wynpotter View Post
    I work in clay and the stamps I use need to be about twice as deep as an inking stamp. I sometimes get caught up in details that turn out to be irrelevant. This usually occurs when I'm working out the details on a new venture.
    That being said, i go back to a previous thread where a 1/32 ball nose bit was recommended. Am I wrong in thinking that it would take 4 passes to get to 1/4 deep and 32x4(passes) per 1in x 1 in sq times 4 sq in(2inx2in). I maybe missing a great deal since I have never tried cnc. I'm just in the dark and your solution may be the better way, I sometimes get caught up in numbers that in the end don't really matter.
    Thanks for the info & patience
    Wyndham
    Hi Wyndham,

When you use a Carving Bit, there are no settings for doing multiple passes on the CarveWright machine. This is not particularly important for what you will be doing though. If you setup a layout to carve a silhouette inside a recessed Carve Region, both the 1/32" Carving Bit and the 1/16" Carving Bit will perform the raster carving at full depth, no problem.

If your layout will include the use of a Cutting Bit, then you can set that bit to perform the cuts in multiple passes. For all the CW Monthly Projects that use a Cutting Bit, I set the multiple passes at 0.3" per pass. This is a safe and practical setting for most materials, but some people "get nervous" and set the passes shallower. That's fine and gets the job done too (just takes longer is all).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by wynpotter View Post
    I work in clay and the stamps I use need to be about twice as deep as an inking stamp. I sometimes get caught up in details that turn out to be irrelevant. This usually occurs when I'm working out the details on a new venture.
    That being said, i go back to a previous thread where a 1/32 ball nose bit was recommended. Am I wrong in thinking that it would take 4 passes to get to 1/4 deep and 32x4(passes) per 1in x 1 in sq times 4 sq in(2inx2in). I maybe missing a great deal since I have never tried cnc. I'm just in the dark and your solution may be the better way, I sometimes get caught up in numbers that in the end don't really matter.
    Thanks for the info & patience
    Wyndham
    The 1/32" referrers to the tip diameter of the bit. The bit as a whole is smaller in diameter and tapered down to the 1/32" tip. You don't have to worry about figuring out all those details if you create the carving region in the Designer software it will take care of all of those details for you. But think of raster carving as an ink jet printer when it prints. The machine will run the bit back and forth on the width of the board (Y axes) and it will carve everything out across that pass at one time. You will see the bit bob up and down according to the depth required as it moves back and forth. So the machine processes that line then moves the board (x axes) and carves another pass across the board. When the carving is done everything across the region (all of them across the width of the project) will have carved out.
    For small areas like you are asking about, you will likely need the smaller carving bit to retain the detail you want.
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Art 1 View Post
    In this group of talent and volunteers, we can probably find someone that could carve one of those for you in about 30 minutes (or less) and deliver it to your doorstep. Of course not knowing where you are it might take a little longer. You would find out exactly what is needed to create this project and not have the newbie experience factor (do it over 6 times to figure it out). A quick mpc, carve, and a finished picture may be enough to convince wynpotter that a CW is his answer.
    Jerry I'm in Seagrove NC about 40 south from Greensboro NC and about 10 miles from Asheboro, NC . We are a small town of about 120 potters, of which I am one.
    If someone nearby has a machine I would be glad to work out something for their time and effort. I would love to see the machine in action as this would answer a lot of questions that are difficult to express in these post.

Another thing that came to mind after seeing the intro video is the prep of the wood. Do most folks have a planer, something Home Depot or Lowes might have to prep the wood for cutting, just wondering
    Thanks again Wyndham

Wyndham, As you can see Jeff posted some NC users. NC was not on my list of places to go today, but if you need help, I can be reached at liftit3@yahoo.com.
    I use rough sawn material and plane my own wood. If you need hardwood, a local saw mill will probably have planed material in stock. If you can work in pine, the local lumberyard will have what you need. Wish I was closer, we would do this project today.
    Jerry
    Having fun with my CW now!
    C Machine spring of 2013, CarveTight, Rotary, designer 3.102, probe/PE,
    vector 2d, 3d advanced, conforming vectors, STL. Photo Explosion 4.
    HF 2hp dust collector. Headquartered in West-Central IL.

Thanks Jerry, after seeing several video's and the help of all these fine folks, I'm starting to see what's what. As I mentioned in another post, I tend to over think new equipment and how it works. I need to play around with the demo a bit.Thanks for everyone's help
    Wyndham

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123