Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tractor Tire

Like the way your mind works. Can't wait until they are placed on that tractor.

Awsum job...

Was it a pierced carve on both sides or two separate pieces? I made a hallow vase by using pierced on both sides and proper tabs it shifted by about 1/8" on the last piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Art View Post
    Been working on this project for a while, finally got a piece that resembles a tractor tire. My first rotary project. This just came off the CW, no clean up, no finish yet. Three carves to get here - 1st on rotary (in special wheel fixture), and two sided carve in another wheel fixture. Approx one hour and 15 minutes total carve time. Just having fun with my CW now!
    Jerry

Attachment 75524Attachment 75525Attachment 75526

Floyd, and a great thanks to you sir, for your patience in helping me solve the mechanical issues. Still having a problem getting the carves to center properly.
    Jerry
    Jerry,

Trying to figure out your "depth issue" was a fun one to figure out. After eliminating all of the obvious things we got it down to the firmware patch to correct your issue.

As for the 2 sided alignment issue I have good results using the "flip in jig" procedure but Dan has posted some great information on his techniques.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

What was the story with the rotary line up? It looks like it came around a tad short. Did you calibrate before the carve?

Could you show us some pictures if your jigs?

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Response to zan29. 1) Carved tread on rotary. 2) carved outside (has bolt detail and 4 perimeter slots) no pierce. 3) carved inside deep enough to reach slots carved in the outside. I believe the centering issue is in the rotary tool. I create rough round blanks from .85 walnut stock with the band saw. Center mark and drill a #12 hole in blank. Load blank into special fixture to fit Rotary that has 10-24 threaded rod imbedded to center the blank - can do one blank or multiples with fixture. Remove tread cut from rotary - sand sides flush to carving - drop into flat holding fixture to carve faces - fixture has 10-24 holding pin and two bolt/hold-ins that lock the wheel down. Use jog to center for alignment of wheel carve that locates to the center of the #12 hole in the center of the wheel. Using the center pin I rotate the tire in the fixture and mark the variation in roundness - varies by 0.05". This is compounded by the face carves that also carve the curve of the tire, which leaves an uncarved area on the sidewall which is not centered. Thinking about turning a steel rod to fit CW Carvetight and the #12 hole to get absolute centering, instead of eyeball centering. I would think the face carves are accurate since they are extrusions. That's why I suspect the rotary. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Jerry, Just having fun with my CW now!

Response to bergerud. yup, did the alignment. This was the best tread alignment so far. Have attached pic of two fixtures I use. They're not fancy - fixtures just need to work, sometimes they get modified 3-4 times before they work.

Thanks Woodart, never occured to me it was done with the rotary jig. Really nice job you did!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Response to zan29. 1) Carved tread on rotary. 2) carved outside (has bolt detail and 4 perimeter slots) no pierce. 3) carved inside deep enough to reach slots carved in the outside. I believe the centering issue is in the rotary tool. I create rough round blanks from .85 walnut stock with the band saw. Center mark and drill a #12 hole in blank. Load blank into special fixture to fit Rotary that has 10-24 threaded rod imbedded to center the blank - can do one blank or multiples with fixture. Remove tread cut from rotary - sand sides flush to carving - drop into flat holding fixture to carve faces - fixture has 10-24 holding pin and two bolt/hold-ins that lock the wheel down. Use jog to center for alignment of wheel carve that locates to the center of the #12 hole in the center of the wheel. Using the center pin I rotate the tire in the fixture and mark the variation in roundness - varies by 0.05". This is compounded by the face carves that also carve the curve of the tire, which leaves an uncarved area on the sidewall which is not centered. Thinking about turning a steel rod to fit CW Carvetight and the #12 hole to get absolute centering, instead of eyeball centering. I would think the face carves are accurate since they are extrusions. That's why I suspect the rotary. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Jerry, Just having fun with my CW now!

Nice. It is to bad there is no jog to line up the y on the rotary, otherwise one could reverse the process. Do the double sided carve with center hole and circle cut out and then go on the rotary.

yup. real trick getting the rotary to carve on my blank. Usually carve a little of the fixture on an oversize blank. If I could carve the two sides first, I would need a jog to center on the rotary. Hey, software guru - Next update, give us a jog to center on rotary. PS. I have more fun creating the art. Carving is the proof that the art works. Thanks for the help. Jerry, just having fun with my CW now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12