Thread: Any way to control the order of execution of carving objects and regions?

Default Any way to control the order of execution of carving objects and regions?

I am use to working in Corel Draw where everything is built from the bottom up. Anything at the top covers everything and is the last to process while the bottom is first to process. So you control what order you vector with the laser by placing the objects in order bottom to top. Bottom object will be done first, then next above it and so on until you get the last object at the top of the object manager. Over simplified, but basically how it works.

In Designer the layout is similar, with the carvings list and objects placed in a column. Yet it doesn't seem that what is at the bottom is first to process, nor what is at the top is. I wasn't sure if Designer did process vectors like Corel Draw does, but I noticed yesterday that some objects that were in a specific order in the carving list did not cut out in that order on the machine.

As with my laser, raster engraving processes everything together (it has to) and moves from one side to the other and simply processes the total of objects or carving regions one line across the board at a time. Vectors are processed one at a time. And also by the selected bit for each (not issue with the laser).

So, can I layout my design so the vectors are processed by the carving machine in the order that I want them to be? Possibly shouldn't have stated regions on title, but in the case I am working on, I have cutout a region by using stepped vector lines to cut out a rectangular slot that uses the cutting bit instead of the carving bit. Machining time cut down drastically by cutting stepped paths instead of rastering across the board to do slots on each side, step by step.
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module

Nope. The order in which things will be done on the machine is independent of the order of the carving list. There is a basic order: raster - vector paths - drills - cut outs (inside out) - edge routes. One can also control vector paths in the sense that they cut in the same direction they were drawn.