Thread: Lousy Carving Quality

Default Lousy Carving Quality

I can never get a good quality carve from my Carvewright. I hope someone can tell me what is going on. I have attached the .mpc and a picture of the end result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150411_164034.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.41 MB 
ID:	75529

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sjwilson57; 04-11-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Picture not showing up

I cannot access your picture. Try again to attach it please.

I am still on 187 but if there is a lot of fine lines try adding some draft so the lines do not chip out .

I can't access your attachment either but, I did open your .mpc. It looks like the image you imported is low to medium resolution. One of the first things new users attempt to do is to import an image and carve it in wood (myself included). To get good results there is a little more to it than just import and carve. The image MUST be very high resolution with clean lines and no background noise. Even if you have a high resolution image to start with a third party editor or the Carvewright pattern editor or Sculptor is usually needed to clean it up.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-12-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    Steve

I edited my post and re-added the photo.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve N.,

I'll try it again using a higher resolution image. I'll post the results when completed.
    Thanks for the advice.

Steve W.

It looks like you're using pine, which will often leave the "fuzzies" that you have. A hardwood would probably due better. The rest is attributable to the quality of your pattern (not very good frankly) and the size. Consider asking for someone to make a better-quality pattern for you.

I looked at your picture and downloaded the file. One thing I think Dick hit on the head is the size. You have too much in too small a space. If you look at the letters in Designer there are places that don't show carving anything or very little. Look in the center of the "A" and you can see the center closed in area is barely showing to carve at all. The area is too small for the bit to cut. There are very small spaces between the letters that show only partial depth again due to the bit being too big to fit into the area to carve. Making the pattern 8" diameter cleaned up a lot of the partially carved areas around the letters and the before uncarved area in the "A" now looks correct.
    If you cannot enlarge the pattern, you may try using the 1/32" bit to keep the details. Try changing the bit in Designer to the 1/32" carving bit and see the difference in what Designer shows you.
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module