Thread: Cast acrylic question

Default Cast acrylic question

This might not be the place to ask but here goes.

I've used corian for a bit and have had fun with it but now I'm wanting to do something different for awhile and I have seen some really neat signs made of cast acrylic with the edge lighting a few I saw made my jaw drop and I just have to do something with it if I can.

Question I have is

when I do searches for cast acrylic clear what I get mixed results is a lot let say 80% of it says it's lexan.

I've always been under the impression that lexan was not the same but closer to plexiglass. And I know that you cant carve plexiglass (tried it once) since it balls up because of the heat. It actually did work but super pain in the but if you start and stop the machine constantly like every 5 min to let things cool definitely not worth the effort.

What I've read and must be true have seen carvings is cast acrylic carves more like corian.

So am I incorrect? Is lexan carvable? Or are my searches just throwing it in there threw key word stuff the way the internet works.

Thanks for the help not that I cant just give it a go just thought I'd ask first am sure someone has tried it.

sorry I did some a little more refined searching and got my answer

Lexan is just the brand name and it is carveable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Is there a way to distinguish what is carveable or not, as in used materials? Thank you.

It is not easy. I can tell cast acrylic by smell. Others, I give a test drill. High speed with a dull drill bit to see if it melts.

Thanks Bergerud. I come across a really good deal on what they are calling *plexiglass* as we know that name is used for everything plastic. And, they are not really sure what it is. I will keep searching. Thanks again

I would ask them if you could test a piece to make sure. One small spot using Dan's test might be worth it if you think it is a good deal.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

They were used for shelves, 24"x24" with a rounded edge ( heated I assume) not sure if that means anything.

Cast Acrylic is quite a bit more expensive the extruded acrylic. I doubt that selves would be made out of cast acrylic. Extruded acrylic is much more common.