Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Poorman's Board Carrier

Does post 16 answer your question?

I did use post 16 in setting the depths. Just hoping I got it right.

But I just tried to use them and I hit a bit of a snag... either I misdesigned it when I did the redesign, or I don't understand how to use it. The tab for the brass roller touch down - it is hitting the black plate that covers the roller and etc. at the keyboard side. How is it supposed to fit in the machine? Do I originally set it in so that tab is overlapping the brass roller? Does that not affect the clamping pressure?
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

I had to cut some clearance so the tab would clear the squaring plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010388.JPG   P1010389.JPG  

Gotcha. Did I miss that somewhere before, or was everyone else just able to figure it out on their own without asking, lol?
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Quote Originally Posted by karossii View Post
    Gotcha. Did I miss that somewhere before, or was everyone else just able to figure it out on their own without asking, lol?
    I cannot remember!

6. Default

I'm trying to use the poorman sled and it measures beautifully, however when it comes to measuring thickness, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. It doesn't automatically go to the cut out area to measure and I recall reading something about using the "jog" feature - but I have no idea how to use that. I usually say for it to just center on board. Can someone explain the proceed to me? Thanks!

There are two different jog features at the machine. One is jogging to show the machine where to carve a project and the other is jogging to show the machine where to bob to touch the surface. It is the jog to touch the surface that one uses to line up the bit with the touch holes on the carrier. When the bobbing to touch the surface routine starts ("Finding Surface" on the display), press STOP. You will get three options. Press 3) Jog. Now use the x arrow keys to move the carrier to line up the bit with the touch holes in the carrier. (You can also arrow the y if, for example, you want the bit to touch in the middle of the board but it is only the x which really matters.)

I was reading the original post about Poorman's Board Carrier from 2015. If I understand that and the Universal Carrier Board (UCB) design, then I have some questions. I think the reason for the black tape or marker on the rails of the carrier are to fool the optical sensor into not measuring the rail width as part of the board width. I think the reason for the touch spots on the carrier is that the machine will look for the touch spots relative to the edge of the board, not the edge of the rail+board. I think the reason for the rails being 1/8" shallower than the board is so the compression rollers will find the ends of the board, not the ends of the rails.
    So, the questions: What if I make the rails so they are the same height as the board in the middle, and 1/8" lower beyond the middle, and make the rails the same thickness (and why not?). Do I still need the black marker? The optical sensor will measure the width of the rails+board, but I will be centering the pattern on the board which will be the same as rails+board. With the rails matching the height of the board in the middle, will the machine to sense the rails and the board together when measuring the width? For the length, with the rails shorter beyond the board length, the compression rollers will still find the ends of the board. Will this also remove the need for the touch spots on the carrier, since the machine will be measuring the rails as part of the board width? Perhaps it can use the normal touch procedure. [I haven't tried this yet, but will sometime in the next week or three.]
    Finally, one could imagine a software modification to make the machine more jig-friendly, where it would measure the board width with the jig in place, then measure the length of the board using the optical sensor, ignoring the compression rollers or the brass roller unless it runs off the end of the machine. Then it would be easier to make simple jigs by adding a carrier board and rails, or as in the Poorman's Carrier, rails that carry the board by themselves.
    Comments welcome.

I think you may be on to something here. I do not have a UCB, but from what I have learned about these machines your assumptions should be correct. Let us know what you come up with. How do you plan to fixture the board to be carved? As far as needing black marker, when the board sensor sees black it assumes there is nothing there. You will see this when using darker colored woods for carving.

Not an expert on the UCB, do have one I made but not a frequent user . You're correct on the black on the edge being to stop the width measurement. I agree eliminating it will just change the width to your board plus rails and if centering the carve the result would be the same but only if that was the only part of the measuring process. The machine also does a depth check using the plates on both sides of the board, normally using the touch plates and the tabs on the UCB as you noted. The machine expects them to be at a specific distance past the edge of the board and within a reachable depth. I believe the thickness of the UCB presents a problem with the depth measurement. I've only carved a thick board a couple of times but always end up with the machine questioning the thickness.
    I believe the board is measured by the optical sensor for length, that is how a board that is shorter than the UCB will measure correctly. The pressure rollers seem to warn it to slow down the feed before it can run out the end.
    The brass roller is a measuring tool to allow the machine to track its position to ensure starting carves in specific places , especially with multiple items in the same MPC. It also warns when the carver loses track of its position. I have several other carrier boards I made before the UCB existed which work well with 3/4 thickness boards, the carriers are fixed width and length which makes securing the board a pain. I use double sided tape to attach, trick the machine with black tape for length, use center for the carve and make sure I center the board on the carrier. Then Jog to position to measure the depth.
    Waiting to hear the results of your tests, always wanting to learn more about the machine. There are several pros who could give better responses to your questions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345