Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carve depth

Default Carve depth

I just Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peyton and atley.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	75107finished carving a litho from a photo and I'm missing some of the detail. I was wondering if by increasing the depth of the carve from .180 to .200 would I get more to show.
    The areas that didn't show properly are the kissing child's lips ( all I have is the whitest area of his lips, kind of just 2 spots), there is a spot in his hair that didn't carve at all, his forehead just above the eyebrows didn't carve and underneath the baby's ear didn't show.
    Or do I need to go back to the photo and tweek it before importing it?
    I tried to attach the MPC but I guess it is too big. 287 and the limit is 286?

The photo is downloaded from a flash drive, I'm using 1/4 material and it's clear. I've used it before with great results. my software is 3.01 and it will probably be backlit but being that it's carved in clear material maybe not.
    The bit optimization was set at best. Yes I've followed the tips in the tutorial, you're right they're great. I do have pattern editor. The depth was at .180 with a height of 450.

I've had great results carving 1/4" at a setting of .185 with a height of 666 and a bit optimization of best. Try these setting and look at the lithophane screen.

I do not think clear is any good. It needs to be white or ivory. Clear does not give any contrast.

Berg is right. Clear has it's place, but not as litho.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    I just Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peyton and atley.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	75107finished carving a litho from a photo and I'm missing some of the detail. I was wondering if by increasing the depth of the carve from .180 to .200 would I get more to show.
    The areas that didn't show properly are the kissing child's lips ( all I have is the whitest area of his lips, kind of just 2 spots), there is a spot in his hair that didn't carve at all, his forehead just above the eyebrows didn't carve and underneath the baby's ear didn't show.
    Or do I need to go back to the photo and tweek it before importing it?
    I tried to attach the MPC but I guess it is too big. 287 and the limit is 286?
    It should work with .180
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peyton%20and%20atley_DISP+cw.PNG   peyton%20and%20atley_DISP.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 03-23-2015 at 01:11 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

BJB, I know you do not have the newer Designer with the litho viewer so I thought I would post this. Smoothing and blurring of Shadermap does not seem to produce good lithos. See the comparison of yours and the original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Litho Babies.png  

That's right, Dan. Not good technique unless someone is looking for that "soft" effect. Keep the photo as sharp as possible to get good detail on a lithophane.

BJB might have thought it was for a wood carving? I don't know.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I'll try changing the height to 666 tonight when I get home tonight and see if I notice a difference.
    And when I carve it again I'll try using white corian. I did a photo of pine cones for my mother in law this winter, in clear, and they turned out great (easy to hang in a window) but maybe white will be the way to go this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfoot View Post
    I'll try changing the height to 666 tonight when I get home tonight and see if I notice a difference.
    And when I carve it again I'll try using white corian. I did a photo of pine cones for my mother in law this winter, in clear, and they turned out great (easy to hang in a window) but maybe white will be the way to go this time.
    Do you have a photo or two of those? I think a lot of us would like to see how the pine cones look!

For your litho photo you posted, probably a solid color (white, off-white) will look best. I've seen some edge-lit 2.5D relief carvings done in clear cast acrylic and they look good. But I've never seen a litho photo done on clear cast acrylic, though.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast