Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lousy Carving Quality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lousy Carving Quality

I have not had any real success in having a clean carve since I bought this CNC. I'm beginning to regret the purchase.

The first picture has no real quality in the carving, what am I doing wrong!!

The second picture shows a misalignment from back to front. This is a clock with the face on the front and the cutout for the clock movement on the back.This misalignment did not show up on the software.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150321_181517.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	75084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150321_161610.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	75085

Steve

What bit optimization are you using and what carve quality did you select during the upload to the card?
    Is the pattern one from the pattern depot, home made or from the forum. Some patterns that are shared have low quality.

If you can share the project file we might be able to see something that you are missing.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

sj, Do Not Get Discouraged. There are some really talented people on here that are more than willing to help. We all went through it and some (ok, me ) are still going through it. Good luck.

Steve like Mike1 said there is lots of help here. Is there any carvers that live close to your home. It would help there are groups that get together .You could also ask someone to look at you pattern setup before you carve. The members here are great people willing to help and share.

RogerB,

I don't know of any Carvers in my area. I live in the St. Cloud Minnesota area. One of the main problems I have is; I travel every week, and only have weekends to work with the Carvewright.

Steve

Steve,

I see a couple of problems. For one, your pattern is not very good to start. The lettering in particular does not have sufficient height to be seen well. You might consider asking someone to create a better pattern for you. Second, you are really asking too much of the machine with this particular pattern. The rope around the edge has too fine of detail to carve at the size that you are trying to do. The pattern needs to be enlarged to at least double to be able to carve the rope, in my opinion.

I suspect the misalignment may have resulted from flipping the board incorrectly, but I'm not positive of that. As you are drilling a hole for the clock mechanism from the front, I recommend a different method. Do not use a 2-sided project. Lay out the clock recess separately on its own project. Center the recess on a small virtual board. After carving and machining the front. flip the board and run the recess project. Use Jog to center and place the bit right over your hole - that will place the recess right where you want it. (I have done many two-sided projects and this method works best for me.)

BTW I'm in Crosslake MN.

Thanks Dick,

I'll either get or make a new pattern for the circled one.

Next time I'll try your method for two sided projects.

You're north of Brainerd, about an hour and a half from me.

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve, I am wondering if you bought a new or used machine. My first machine, I bought used and came with a loose head. That affected both the Y and Z axis. It is easy to tighten the mounts. Just for chuckles, see if you can wiggle the Z head. If so, the solution to your problem is easy. Meanwhile, post the pattern you ised for the experts to try and fill us in on where you got the pattern.

rickroy,

I bought it new.

Have to agree with Roger and Mike1 I am still learning but a great place to be for info
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast